Welterweight titlist Kell Brook of England remained in stable condition and hospitalized Friday after suffering a serious stab wound to his left leg early Thursday while on vacation on the Spanish island of Tenerife off the coast of Morocco.
"I was out enjoying a night out before returning home to the UK when I was the victim of an unprovoked attack," Brook said on Friday from his hospital bed. "I'm devastated right now after being on such a high having achieved my dream of becoming world champion in Los Angeles last month. This is obviously a major setback but the thought of defending my title is what's keeping me positive right now.
"I want to thank everyone for their support and ask for privacy for myself and my family at this time. Make no mistake -- I will be back."
Brook (33-0, 22 KOs) won a 147-pound world title when he claimed a majority decision against Shawn Porter on Aug. 16 at the StubHub Center in Carson, California -- a few miles from downtown Los Angeles -- in a long-awaited mandatory fight.
Brook, 28, will remain in the hospital through the weekend and is scheduled to return to his hometown of Sheffield on Monday to begin his rehabilitation. However, his planned homecoming defense on Dec. 6 -- no opponent had been set -- is off, according to Matchroom Boxing promoter Eddie Hearn.
"We were all glad to get out here and see Kell for ourselves," said Hearn, who visited Brook. "The important thing now is to get him home and, after some rest, begin therapy on his injuries. His first defense was planned on Dec. 6, which is now unrealistic, but we fully expect Kell to be back in the ring early next year."