<
>

Victoria to host 'super summer' of tennis

play
Kyrgios reflects on day Kobe died (1:03)

Nick Kyrgios looks back on the day Kobe Bryant died, and how it felt wearing his jersey on court at the Australian Open. (1:03)

Tennis Australia (TA) will employ a 'hub' model by shifting all Australian Open lead-up events to the state of Victoria to ensure the strongest-possible field for the first major of 2021.

TA will transfer at least five events usually held in Sydney, Brisbane, Perth, Adelaide, Canberra and Hobart to Melbourne and its surrounds in a blockbuster summer of action.

It's a similar build-up to the 2020 US Open, which transferred the Cincinnati Masters to Flushing Meadows as a warm-up, but on a more extreme scale.

The US Open field in September was considerably diminished because of COVID-19 pandemic, which Australian Open organisers are desperate to avoid.

The unprecedented measure will see up to 550 players and their entourages flying into Melbourne from mid-December, where they will be allowed to play and train but be restricted to hotels or the tennis court until they have completed two weeks of quarantine.

They are then free to travel around the state for competition, with some of the tournaments set to be held at regional venues such as Bendigo and Traralgon, subject to approval.

Some events could be played after the Open in a re-worked calendar.

Australia's Ashleigh Barty and Nick Kyrgios will resume competition after electing not to travel overseas this year due to the coronavirus pandemic.

"There is now no risk of the Australian Open going ahead without everyone in Victoria and we didn't have that guarantee previously,'' Australian Open tournament director Craig Tiley told the Herald Sun.

It remains unclear how many fans will attend the Open, which is scheduled from January 18-31. Tiley wants at least 25 percent crowd capacity, which has been confirmed for cricket's Boxing Day Test against at the MCG.

While Tiley was already planning for the tournaments to go ahead in Victoria, the state's premier Daniel Andrews said it was "far from a done deal" given it's a such a "massive event".

"The notion this is all tied up with a bow, it's a done deal, that's simply wrong," Andrews said on Monday.

"The public health team needs to sign off on all of these arrangements and they are just not settled.

"We want the event to happen, just like the Boxing Day Test, but the thing about the cricket compared to the tennis is it's a tiny group of people (who) we think we can quarantine.

"It's a massive event, it's an event that all of us love ... but it comes at a time when the rest of the world is on fire.

"The notion this is all a done deal and there's going to be all these tennis players turning up - no, this is not settled at all.

"It's an important event, absolutely, but avoiding a third wave is arguably even more important.

"This needs to be done on the best of public health advice."