Former France coach Guy Noves is entitled to €1 million in compensation for wrongful dismissal by the national rugby federation, a French court ruled on Monday.
The FFR alleged that Noves was guilty of serious misconduct, but a Toulouse labour tribunal decided otherwise. Noves -- the first ever France coach to be sacked -- was asking for €2.88 million.
Both parties have the right to appeal, although initial reactions suggested that they were happy with the outcome.
"I am satisfied with this decision," Noves told reporters. "The FFR said there was serious misconduct and the tribunal said there was none."
FFR lawyer Joseph Aguera told French sports newspaper L'Equipe: "I don't know if we are going to appeal, we have a month to do so. The demands [from Noves] were excessive and the decision is reasonable."
Noves, 65, was fired by the FFR in December 2017 after winning only seven of his 21 matches in charge, while his contract was due to run until the end of this year's World Cup in Japan.
Media reports in France had suggested that allegations of misconduct against Noves centred on his poor communication skills with players, as well as with clubs from France's Top 14 competition.
After a two year spell in charge, Noves was replaced by Jacques Brunel, who has so far failed to improve his nation's form.
France beat Scotland and Italy in this year's Six Nations, but were defeated by England, Ireland and Wales to finish fourth.