Cowboys WR Allen Hurns suffers serious ankle injury vs. Seahawks

ARLINGTON, Texas -- Wide receiver Allen Hurns had surgery Saturday night on his left ankle after getting injured in the first quarter of the Dallas Cowboys' 24-22 wild-card win against the Seattle Seahawks, according to owner and general manager Jerry Jones.

Coach Jason Garrett called it a "significant injury to his lower leg," but a source told ESPN's Adam Schefter that Hurns is expected to be ready to return to football by August barring complications or anything out of the ordinary.

With 7:28 left in the quarter, Hurns' leg was wrenched as he was tackled on a 14-yard catch by Seahawks safety Bradley McDougald, and his left foot was pointing up as he lay on his stomach in pain. The players immediately cleared way for the Cowboys' medical staff to get to Hurns to put an air cast on his leg.

Players from both teams went to Hurns to offer their support before he was stretchered off the field in tears. Hurns raised his fist to the crowd as he was carted off, which drew a big cheer.

"It's terrible, man," Cowboys receiver Cole Beasley said. "You never want to see an injury like that to any of your brothers out there. It's unfortunate. I feel for him, and I just hope he's in good spirits. I'm sure he's got a lot on his mind. It sucks, man. That's never a good feeling."

Hurns caught 20 passes for 295 yards and two touchdowns in the regular season after signing a two-year contract with the Cowboys as a free agent in the offseason.

"It's a challenging situation for players because you're emotionally ready to play, you're going, you're in the flow of the ballgame, and that happens," Garrett said. "And trust me, the guys on our football team care so much about each other and love each other so much. They see their brother on the field like that -- it's not easy. But you have to regroup. You have to be professional and get back to work.

"Allen is in good hands. He's going to come back and play a lot of football for us in the future."

In the Cowboys' final home game of the regular season on Dec. 23 against the Tampa Bay Buccaneers, defensive lineman Tyrone Crawford was stretchered off the field with a neck injury. Crawford returned to action for the first time Saturday.

Beasley suffered a right ankle sprain on his first catch of the game but was able to return. He has been playing most of the past month with a sprained right foot.

"I think I'll be all right," Beasley said. "I just need some time for it to calm down, and then I'll be good."