<
>

Jan Vertonghen's house burgled during Tottenham Champions League clash with RB Leipzig

play
Hugo Lloris' time at Spurs 'coming to an end' (0:37)

Shaka Hislop expects Hugo Lloris and Tottenham to part ways sooner rather than later. (0:37)

Tottenham defender Jan Vertonghen had his house burgled during his side's Champions League round-of-16 second leg clash at RB Leipzig on Tuesday.

Vertonghen, 32, was an unused substitute as Spurs were knocked out of the competition after a 3-0 defeat in Germany.

A Metropolitan Police spokesman said: "Police were called to a residential address in NW3 at 7.49 p.m. on March 10 to a report of a burglary.

"Officers attended. It was reported four men wearing balaclavas, armed with knives, had forced entry to the property and stolen a number of items before leaving.

"Nobody was injured. The suspects had left the scene before officers arrived. There have been no arrests and inquiries continue."

Meanwhile, a Spurs spokesperson said: "We have been supporting Jan and his family through this terribly traumatic time."

Vertonghen becomes the latest footballer to be targeted by criminals after Liverpool forward Sadio Mane has his house burgled during a Champions League match against Bayern Munich last year.

There have also been a number of incidents in Spain over the past year where 19 La Liga players have been affected by break-ins.