Barcelona failed to complete a sensational deadline-day move for Angel Di Maria, making a last-ditch effort to sign the Paris Saint-Germain midfielder after finally giving up on Liverpool's Philippe Coutinho, sources have told ESPN FC.
Coutinho has been Barca's priority throughout the summer but Liverpool's reluctance to sell forced them to explore alternative options, and at the 11th hour they attempted to push through a deal for Di Maria before the transfer window closed in Spain on Friday.
Barca had originally pulled out of a deal for the former Real Madrid and Manchester United man due to PSG's elevated demands, but UEFA's decision to open an investigation into the French club's spending re-opened talks.
However, sources say Barca, citing "a crazy transfer market," dropped out of a potential deal for a second time when PSG responded to their €40 million offer by asking for more than €60m.
Meanwhile, Diario Sport reported there was also a late enquiry made to Monaco for France midfielder Thomas Lemar, who a day earlier turned down a move to Arsenal after the clubs had agreed a fee around €95m.
But Monaco on Friday reportedly told Barcelona they wanted €120m for the highly rated 21-year-old.
The move for Di Maria was met with disillusion by Barcelona's fan base online -- and not just because of his Madrid past.
Supporters have not forgotten when Di Maria put his finger to his lips and told Camp Nou to be quiet after Edinson Cavani's goal had made it 5-3 on aggregate in the Champions League quarterfinal tie between PSG and Barca in March.
Barca famously came back to win the game 6-5 on aggregate, but Di Maria's gesture had left its mark.
There was also questions that Barcelona were prepared to give money to PSG on the day UEFA confirmed they were investigating the Ligue 1 club for a potential breach of Financial Fair Play following their summer spending splurge.
Selling Di Maria would have eased the financial burden, but Barcelona fans are in no mood to help PSG with Neymar's €222 million move to the French capital is still a sore point in Catalonia.
Paulinho's signing earlier this month was met with similar discontent by the club's supporters, and led to an online campaign calling for president Josep Maria Bartomeu and his board to resign.
The failure to complete any deadline day signings, despite sporting director Robert Fernandez saying he expected to bring in one or two more players earlier this week, will further increase the pressure on the board.
On Friday, former presidential candidate Agusti Benedito launched a vote of no confidence against Bartomeu and the board, and Robert and director Albert Soler will give a news conference on Saturday to address the club's failings in the transfer market this summer.
Despite the arrival of Ousmane Dembele for a club-record fee, the loss of Neymar has overshadowed the summer, and the jury is still out on new signings Gerard Deulofeu, Paulinho and Nelson Semedo, although the latter has made a promising start.