<
>

Barcelona want two more signings this week - director Robert Fernandez

play
Hislop: Barca in need of more than just Messi (2:49)

While Lionel Messi eclipsed the 350 goal mark in La Liga, Shaka Hislop is a bit worried Barca may over-rely on him. (2:49)

BARCELONA -- Robert Fernandez says Barcelona want to make two more signings before the transfer window closes later this week, but stopped short of naming Philippe Coutinho.

Liverpool have rejected three bids from Barca for Coutinho this summer, but the Catalan club remain hopeful of reaching an agreement before the end of August.

Speaking at club-record signing Ousmane Dembele's presentation, Barcelona's sporting director confirmed the club are still active in the transfer market amid reports they're finally closing in on a deal for Coutinho.

"We are negotiating with certain players about joining," Robert said when asked for an update on the club's continued pursuit of the Brazil international.

"We need things sorted quickly as there are not many days left of the transfer window. We hope things progress well and that we are able to present another player this month.

"We're working on a number of possibilities. We have to wait. We know the type of player we want and the profile we need to improve the team and we will push until the last possible moment.

"My intention is that one more player comes in and, if it's possible, even two."

If Coutinho is the first player then Nice's Jean Michael Seri, who has criticised the French club after talks broke down with Barca last week, is not the second.

Robert said the Ivory Coast midfielder has been "discarded" as an option but wasn't as clear when asked about Barca's potential interest in Paris Saint-Germain's Angel Di Maria.

"I'm not going to get into naming names about who we're negotiating with," he said. "The club are working on signing players but I'm not going name any individuals."

Liverpool reached an agreement to sign RB Leipzig's Naby Keita on Monday, although the Guinea midfielder will not arrive at Anfield until next summer.

However, Robert said Barca would not be doing a similar deal for Coutinho, and that the players the club are chasing are players for the present, not the future.