Lyon president Jean-Michel Aulas says the collapse of Alexandre Lacazette's move to Atletico Madrid is "good and bad news" for his club, amid reports that Manchester United are weighing up making an offer for the striker.
As Atletico will not be able to register any new signings until January 2018, Aulas says Lyon may be able to keep hold of their top scorer of the 2016-17 campaign but highlighted the loss of income from the transfer.
That is despite L'Equipe and the Daily Mirror both reporting on Friday that United, who have cooled their interest in Atletico's Antoine Griezmann, are considering making an approach for Lacazette, but are yet to table an offer.
"Real and Barca [previously] saw their [transfer] punishment reduced with a favourable decision, it wasn't the case for Atletico," Aulas said after seeing Lyon's women's team claim a fourth Women's Champions League trophy. "It's good and bad news. It was, in financial terms, a very significant operation. Of course that has changed everything.
"We had given Alex the green light to go to Atletico, the club of his heart. I've not had his agent on the phone, nor him, as I've been in Cardiff, but I had said to Alexandre not to get too far ahead of himself, as there can always be disappointments in football. It brings into question the commitments made on both sides. We had made progress on possible solutions. We might have one extra striker next season."
Should Lacazette, who came through the Lyon youth ranks, maintain his desire to move to Atletico, he will not be allowed to leave the Ligue 1 side on loan before making the switch.
"No, it's not possible. Technically, it's not. The solution would be for him to stay here until the ban is over," Aulas said. "Football has a magical ability to throw everything up in the air."
Lyon will play in the Europa League next season, meaning Lacazette would still be eligible for the Champions League if he were to move to Atletico from the French club in the New Year.