2017-18 English Carabao Cup, Second Round
  • James McArthur (76', 76', 84', 84')
  • Bersant Celina (90'+1', 90'+1')

James McArthur double helps Crystal Palace past Ipswich Town

James McArthur opened the scoring for Crystal Palace in their victory against Ipswich. Photo by Andrew Matthews/PA Images via Getty Images

James McArthur scored a late brace as Frank de Boer's Crystal Palace progressed to the Carabao Cup third round with a 2-1 victory over a youthful Ipswich side.

The Scottish midfielder cut inside to find the top left corner with 14 minutes remaining at Selhurst Park, before sealing De Boer's first win as Palace boss by finding the top right corner eight minutes later.

Manchester City loanee Bersant Celina pulled one back for Ipswich in stoppage time, but the Eagles hung on.

De Boer, who had lost his two opening Premier League games without scoring a goal, made seven changes from the weekend defeat at Liverpool, while Ipswich boss Mick McCarthy named six teenagers in the club's youngest-ever side as he selected a completely different lineup from the one which beat Brentford.

There was little between the two teams in an uneventful opening period and Ipswich could have gone ahead when Danny Rowe shot over after being teed up by Ben Folami midway through the half.

The hosts' first real chance saw a Scott Dann header blocked following Jason Puncheon's corner, while Yohan Cabaye stung the palms of Ipswich goalkeeper Dean Gerken from a 25-yard free kick in first-half stoppage time.

Scotland international McArthur finally broke the deadlock when he raced towards goal and then cut inside to curl a left-footed effort into the far corner.

Jason Lokilo then came close to doubling the lead on two occasions. The 18-year-old debutant was firstly denied by Town keeper Gerken, before striking a post.

Palace looked to have put the result beyond doubt six minutes from time when McArthur this time found the top right corner after finding space on the edge of the box.

Kosovo international Celina still had time to set up a nervy finish by scoring his first Ipswich goal from close range, but they were unable to force extra-time.