<
>

Jelavic keen to fight for Everton place

Nikica Jelavic has refused to give up hope of saving his Everton career as Queens Park Rangers bid to sign him.

• O'Farrell: Everton breeze through
• Martinez backs Heitinga U-turn

The striker scored twice -- his first goals since March last year -- as Championship side QPR were beaten 4-0 in the FA Cup third round at Goodison Park on Saturday.

Jelavic, a 5.5 million-pound signing from Rangers in Jan. 2012, has made only five Premier League starts this season after struggling to find form.

The Croatia international is keen to find regular first-team football as he bids to secure a place at this summer’s World Cup finals.

Manager Roberto Martinez has told him he can go, and has confirmed that QPR are keen to sign the 28-year-old.

However Jelavic, who has fallen behind on-loan Chelsea striker Romelu Lukaku, wants to see if he can win back his Everton place before committing himself to a move.

He told Everton’s official website: “It’s been difficult. But Rom is on fire -- I’m delighted for him if I’m being honest. I’m training hard and every day I have been waiting for my chance.

"Now the manager saw that he can count on me as well, so we will see. We will see in the end but I hope he is going to give me more chances.”

Jelavic could have had a hat trick against QPR on Saturday, but chipped a penalty on to the crossbar late in the game.

He said: “I just thought I was going to chip it whatever happens. There was punishment in the end because I missed it. It’s not the only game. There are plenty more and I hope I can score a hat trick in another game.”