<
>

Man United wanted Thomas Muller for £88m; De Gea's £30m buyout clause

The transfer window might be closed, but the rumours keep ticking. As always, Transfer Talk has the latest and greatest. See all the summer deals right here.

Bayern knocked back £88m for Muller

Manchester United were roundly ridiculed for spending what could be an eventual £58 million on Anthony Martial -- that is until the France starlet bagged a gorgeous debut goal against Liverpool on Saturday. But it turns out that United were ready to shell out even more on Thomas Muller, according to kicker.

The German publication says that the Red Devils were willing to spend a world-record €120 million (£88m) to reunite the World Cup winning forward with Louis van Gaal, but Bundesliga champions Bayern Munich refused to entertain a sale. Muller would have reportedly earned an "astronomical" yearly salary of €12.5m had Pep Guardiola decided to part with the 26-year-old. Instead, United fans will have to make do with Martial until January.

Meanwhile, The Sun reports that David De Gea has had a £30 million buyout clause inserted into his bumper new United contract. That seems unlikely considering the goalkeeper seems fairly happy to have committed his future to the Red Devils, though any such figure obviously paves the way for a move to Real Madrid in the near future -- if the Spanish giants can file the paperwork in time!

Benzema saga takes new twist

You all thought the Karim Benzema exit talk was over, didn't you? Well think again -- fichajes.net reports that Real Madrid are waiting on offers for the France forward despite him recently declaring his loyalty to Los Blancos by attacking the "clowns" in the media. Gulp.

Arsenal were predictably linked with the striker once again this summer, and just as predictably missed out on him, though Benzema could still reportedly be tempted to move on in January and would consider the right offer if it came in.

Madrid may also be tempted to cash in if the Gunners stump up a respectable offer -- that's a very big if, ladies and gentlemen -- but with Theo Walcott needing a few bites of the cherry to score against Stoke on Saturday, Arsene Wenger may add to his ranks in the winter.

Meanwhile... any Football Manager/FIFA 15 addicts worth their salt will know that Youri Tielemans will be the next big thing in terms of Belgian exports, and Italian site calciomercato.com reports that Arsenal are interested in the 18-year-old midfielder despite him signing a new five-year contract with Anderlecht just last month.

The Express suggests that Anderlecht want at least £14.4 million for the starlet, though Wenger could be tempted into making a January move if Jack Wilshere's injury woes continue.

Mourinho bitter after sticky Toffees' business

Everton rejected four Chelsea bids for John Stones this summer, but those weren't the only recent transfer decisions made at Goodison Park that have had a knock-on effect at Stamford Bridge.

The Daily Mail reports that Roberto Martinez turned down Norwich's £8m deadline day bid for Steven Naismith, with the midfielder confirming: "It was out of my hands because the manager said he didn't want me to leave."

The 28-year-old Scotland international duly repaid Martinez's faith with a hat trick off the bench against Chelsea on Saturday, leaving Jose Mourinho with a face like thunder -- and a foul mouth after the 3-1 defeat, according to multiple back-page reports in the British media.

It probably doesn't help Mourinho to say that Stones also starred for the Toffees against the champions on Saturday with an imperious display at centre-back, but that's just the kind of luck Chelsea are having at the moment.

Championship clamour for Wilson

Derby County have already announced their intentions to whisk James Wilson away from his Manchester United frustrations with a season-long loan move, and fellow Championship rivals Cardiff City and Bolton have joined the race for the England under-21 striker's signature.

The Mirror quotes Cardiff boss Russell Slade saying: "He's obviously a player of strong ability. Manchester United think a lot of him. There would be something wrong if everyone turned away when he was available. It's not a no from us."

You could have just said "yes," Russell!

Meanwhile, Bolton manager Neil Lennon added: "I think Manchester United have said there's half a dozen clubs in for him and I could understand that. There would be an interest there, no question." This is threatening to turn into the bidding scene from War Horse -- good luck, James.

McClaren stone cold crazy about Austin

Charlie Austin didn't end up getting that lucrative move back to the Premier League this summer, although Newcastle United boss Steve McClaren admits that he still has the QPR striker firmly in his sights.

McClaren told reporters: "[Austin] has been on Newcastle's radar from the second half of last season and during the summer, and he will stay on the radar, definitely."

The Telegraph reports that the Magpies will offer a cut-price £6 million for the 26-year-old in January. Given that the forward is out of contract next June, a low bid would certainly test QPR's resolve, as they can't really afford to lose their most saleable asset for nothing.

Gerrard runs the rule on Liverpool signings

As more of Steven Gerrard's new book "My Story" leaks out from the Mail, the LA Galaxy star has revealed the three best signings Liverpool made while he was Anfield captain.

"Three players stand out in my time at Liverpool. They all speak Spanish. Each of them unleashes a wave of emotion in me and in every Liverpool supporter: Fernando Torres. Xabi Alonso. Luis Suarez."

No real surprises there, although Gerrard -- who doesn't really seem to get along with Rafa Benitez all that much -- said the now-Real Madrid coach was "stupid" to sell Alonso to Los Blancos.

The worst signing? El Hadji Diouf. And Gerrard's reaction to Brendan Rodgers' "gamble" on signing Mario Balotelli? "Uh-oh."

Nothing more needs to be said.