The coronavirus pandemic made the transfer market unlike any before it, but there was still plenty of action on Deadline Day. With the window closed across the major leagues in Europe, you can check out the latest major completed transfers across the globe.
TOP STORY: Barca to turn to free agents Pogba and Alaba?
Mundo Deportivo reports that Barcelona could be forced to change tactics in the transfer window as they try to sign Manchester United midfielder Paul Pogba and Bayern Munich defender David Alaba at the end of their contracts.
The Catalan club have suffered a turbulent 12 months and they'll almost certainly need to bring in a few big names if they are to reclaim their place at the top of Spanish and European football.
Pogba's contract is set to expire next summer, though sources have told ESPN that United have an option to extend it by another 12 months and will do so if the Frenchman doesn't pen new terms soon. Still, while Real Madrid and Juventus have emerged as the leading contenders for Pogba's signature, he would reportedly entertain a switch to the Camp Nou and Barca are prepared to wait.
Meanwhile, left-back Alaba has been on Barcelona's radar for some time and negotiations over a new deal with Bayern have turned sour. The Austrian is evidently holding out as he wants to know if a chance to join Barca or Real Madrid arrives.
For what it's worth, Mundo also reports (as we did at ESPN) that a host of free agents will become available in 2021 and Barca could be looking at them too, including: Sergio Aguero, Arkadiusz Milik, Angel Di Maria, Oriol Romeu, Juan Bernat and Gianluigi Donnarumma.
23.00 BST: That will do it for the latest edition of our LIVE Transfer Talk blog. We hoped you enjoyed following along with us and remind you to check back shortly for the latest transfer rumours, reports and completed deals. Goodnight!
22.14 BST: Who says you can't go home?
Not Nathaniel Clyne, who on Wednesday returned to Crystal Palace after eight years away from Selhurst Park. A standout performer for the Eagles between 2008-12 after graduating from the academy, Clyne has since played for Southampton, Liverpool and Bournemouth.
Still just 29, Clyne will hope to reignite his career at Palace, after getting lost in the shuffle at Liverpool the last few seasons.
22.00 BST: Saudi Arabian side Al-Ain have signed Montreal Impact attacker and former Inter and Southampton man Saphir Taider.
📰 Le milieu de terrain Saphir Taïder transféré au club saoudien @alainfcae_en >>> https://t.co/ZuNcXIoX4q— Impact de Montréal (@impactmontreal) October 14, 2020
📰 Algerian international Saphir Taïder transferred to Al Ain FC >>> https://t.co/PgTUOxArUm#MERCISAPHIR 💙 #IMFC pic.twitter.com/lLmQNmmk7B
The Algerian midfielder leaves Canada after two-and-a-half seasons, in which he amassed 22 goals and 22 assists in 86 games. Taider becomes the latest MLS player to move to Saudi Arabia following the high-profile moves of Pity Martinez, Alexandru Mitrita earlier this window.
21.07 BST: Aston Villa and Leeds have been two of the Premier League's brightest lights so far this season and fittingly, the two are set to go head-to-head for one of the Championship's biggest stars.
The Daily Mail suggests that the two are pushing hard for highly-rated Norwich playmaker Emi Buendia, who started 28 games in the Premier League last season. The 23-year-old Argentine, who is valued at £20 million, created the fourth-most chances in the Premier League in 2019-20, behind only Kevin De Bruyne, Jack Grealish and Trent Alexander-Arnold.
20.18 BST: What's next for Luka Modric?
The 35-year-old, whose contract expires at the end of the season, wants to finish his career at Real Madrid, whom he joined in 2012. Diario Sport suggests that Madrid are prepared to offer the Croatian a one-year contract that will keep at the Bernabeu through the 2021-22 season. The problem is that Modric is looking for a two-year deal, which Madrid generally refuse to give out to players over the age of 35.
The report does add that Madrid are willing to make a rare exception to that rule for the soon-to-be 35-year-old Sergio Ramos, due to his form at stature within the club.
19.35 BST: West Brom have actively been shopping for a striker and it appears they are close to getting their man.
Sky Sports has learned that WBA and Huddersfield have agreed a fee around £15 million for striker Karlan Grant. The 23-year-old, who scored 19 goals in the Championship last season with the Terriers, has been a top target for WBA since early in the window.
Grant will undergo a medical at the Hawthorns on Thursday and if all goes well will becone WBA's ninth signing of the summer.
19.02 BST: Newcastle's Allan Saint-Maximin has signed a new, improved contract that will keep the tricky winger at St James' Park through 2026.
Signed from OGC Nice in 2019, Saint-Maximin, 23, was Newcastle's most dangerous attacker last season, producing three goals and five assists for the Magpies.
Newcastle boss Steve Bruce had rave reviews for the Frenchman saying: "I'm sure the supporters will be delighted with the news. He's had an introduction now to what life in the Premier League is like and with Allan, the world is at his feet. He can go as far as he wants to go, because he's got the talent to do it."
18.20 BST: Here's a wild one... Freddy Adu, yes, the one and only, has signed for third-tier Swedish side Osterlen FF, according to multiple reports.
The former American phenom, now 31, last suited up professionally for the USL's Las Vegas Lights in 2018.
Dubbed the "American Pele," Adu debuted in MLS at 14 years of age before going on trial with Man United and later making a landmark move to Benfica. Adu, who has played in the United States, Portugal, Monaco, Greece, Turkey, Brazil, Serbia and Finland, will now join Swedish minnows Osterlen, who earned promotion to Sweden' third tier this season.
It's good to see Adu back playing professionally again.
17.59 BST: The Daily Mail, via TEAMtalk, claims that as many as six clubs are still chasing Bournemouth star David Brooks ahead of Friday's domestic deadline.
The report lists long admirers Man United, Liverpool and Leicester City as interested parties, as well as Tottenham, Everton and Brooks' former club Sheffield United. Bournemouth would like to hold onto he highly-rated 23-year-old as they attempt to earn promotion back to the Premier League at the first time of asking but could they be swayed by a massive over?
The Cherries value the Wales midfielder at around £40 million.
17.17 BST: West Ham are reportedly close to landing one of the biggest names on the domestic transfer block, Brentford's Said Benrahma.
Sky Sports reports that the Hammers and Benrahma are currently discussing personal terms, and that if terms are agreed, the Algeria international will undergo a medical at the club in the next 24 hours. The 25-year-old winger, who racked up 17 goals and nine assists last season for the Bees, was also linked with the likes of Crystal Palace, Aston Villa and Fulham.
West Ham and Brentford agreed to a fee of £30 million for the winger earlier this week.
16.36 BST: Danny Welbeck was recently released by Watford but it sounds as if the ex-Man United and Arsenal striker won't be a free agent for too long.
The Daily Mail has learned that Brighton are pursuing the 29-year-old, who scored three goals in 20 appearances last campaign for the Hornets. Welbeck's contract was terminated by mutual consent last week, as the ex-England man was making too much -- reportedly £100,000-a-week -- for now Champions outfit Watford to afford.
Bournemouth's Josh King, and fellow Hornet Troy Deeney are also targets, but is believed that Brighton would prefer Welbeck, who is available on a free.
15.55 BST: Real Madrid striker Borja Mayoral joined AS Roma on a two-year-loan deal worth €2m this summer, but he was able to explain why at his official unveiling.
"Real Madrid wanted me to stay, but in the end they allowed me to leave and the conversations with [Roma CEO Guido] Fienga and the coach were decisive to make it happen. I also want to thank Real Madrid for allowing me to be where I am today.
"In the summer I immediately expressed the desire to leave the club as soon as possible. Following a meeting with [Zinedine] Zidane, he expressed a wish for me to stay and so I stayed longer. My wish was to leave, because I thought I would have more opportunities to grow and to play somewhere else.
"The club listened to Zidane's demands and tried to keep hold of me maybe they wanted [Luka] Jovic to leave, but eventually the operation went through. I spoke to Zidane again in his office and explained to him that I could not reject the opportunity to play with a club like Roma and grow up with my football."
14.49 BST: Manchester United reportedly considered a move for Bayern Munich winger Kingsley Coman this summer.
United had grown frustrated with their pursuit of Dortmund's Jadon Sancho and eventually signed youngsters Facundo Pellistri and Amad Diallo. But it appears that even if they had made a loan offer for Coman, it wouldn't have been successful.
"There was nothing, and we wouldn't have looked into it either. His [Coman's] goal in the Champions League final should explain enough why we are relying on him wholeheartedly," Bayern sporting director Hasan Salihamidzic told Bild.
14.12 BST: Napoli forward Hirving Lozano was of interest to Paris Saint-Germain and Sheffield United in the summer window, says Tuttosport.
Lozano, 25, has struggled for form under Gennaro Gattuso and the Mexico international was reportedly ready to try a new challenge. The deal on the table was for a €10m loan, though with no option to make it permanent, though neither club evidently came through in the end.
13.04 BST: Real Madrid want to sign PSG's Kylian Mbappe or Borussia Dortmund's Erling Haaland. But can they?
The complications of Mbappe or Haaland joining Real Madrid
Julien Laurens explains the trouble Madrid could face pursuing Kylian Mbappe or Erling Haaland before 2022.
12.16 BST: Corriere dello Sport reports that Roma are interested in signing Arsenal left-back Sead Kolasinac.
Roma let Aleksandar Kolarov join Inter and didn't really replace him, so a move for Kolasinac makes sense after he failed to secure a transfer to Bayer Leverkusen this summer having fallen down the pecking order at the Emirates.
11.33 BST: More USMNT players at Champions League clubs can only improve the country's 2022 World Cup prospects.
The recently concluded European transfer window has the potential to be a watershed moment for U.S. players. It wasn't so much how many players moved, but where they went. Weston McKennie left Schalke 04 to join Italian giants Juventus, and Sergino Dest completed a transfer from Ajax to Barcelona, amid significant interest from Bayern Munich and Paris Saint-Germain.
The moves marked the first time that American players had been transferred to such historic clubs, but to be fair, Americans have been burrowing their way into bigger European teams for a couple of years.
10.50 BST: Manchester United want to sign Borussia Dortmund winger Jadon Sancho, we know this.
But Bild reports that even if United stump up the €120m required to land the 20-year-old in January, Dortmund still won't accept it.
Evidently the German club don't want to lose a player of Sancho's importance midway through the season, so United will have to wait until summer 2021 before they can try again.
10.25 BST: Luis Suarez was in tears when he left Barcelona and joined Atletico Madrid.
Hutchison: I understand Suarez's pain when leaving Barca
Don Hutchison says he can relate to Luis Suarez saying his departure from Barcelona brought him to tears.
When Pogba heads back to Manchester on Thursday, United will get a refreshed and reenergised player -- which is exactly the impact the club had hoped to see from his return to France.
The club, meanwhile, can't be annoyed with Pogba for mentioning (again) that his dream is to play one day for Real Madrid. First, he is waiting for a sign from Ed Woodward and the club; he loves United, Old Trafford, and his life in Manchester. But his line on Zinedine Zidane and Madrid is a good sign as well, for it is when he is happy that he gives it the best answers. And the best performances.
09.07 BST: Barcelona goalkeeper Marc-Andre ter Stegen is set to extend his contract at Camp Nou until 2025, sources have confirmed to ESPN's Sam Marsden and Moises Llorens.
Negotiations over a new deal were put on hold at the start of the coronavirus pandemic but talks resumed with Ter Stegen's agent last month and a loose agreement was brokered last week.
Sources close to the discussions have told ESPN the Germany international's new contract could be drawn up and signed before the end of the month -- and maybe even before next weekend's Clasico against Real Madrid.
Under the terms of the new agreement, Ter Stegen will receive a substantial wage rise in accordance with his increased importance to the side, placing him among the club's top earners.
However, the increase to his salary will be staggered across the five-year deal to help the club manage the financial fallout caused by the coronavirus pandemic. Cost-cutting measures this summer have already seen Luis Suarez, Arturo Vidal and Ivan Rakitic leave the club.
Ter Stegen, 28, had always made it clear to Barca that he wanted to commit his future to the club despite interest from elsewhere.
Sources say Chelsea made the most "serious" move for the goalkeeper, while Inter Milan were keen to do a deal in 2021. There was interest a while ago from Juventus, too, but the Italian champions have not followed up on their initial approach.
Ter Stegen explains failed 2016 Manchester City move
Marc-André ter Stegen explains how he nearly ended up swapping Barcelona for Manchester in 2016, and why the move collapsed.
The Mail reports that Liverpool are in talks with Swansea City over a season-long loan for the Wales international. Cardiff City, Nottingham Forest and Derby County -- where Wilson scored 18 goals during the 2018-19 season -- are also all interested in signing him ahead of the Oct. 16 deadline for domestic transfers.
08.00 BST: Manchester United have added Sevilla's Jules Kounde to their list of targets with manager Ole Gunnar Solskjaer not ruling out a move for a centre-back in January if his problems in defence do not improve, sources have told ESPN's Rob Dawson.
Only newly promoted West Brom have shipped more goals in the Premier League so far this season as Solskjaer has struggled to find a reliable partner for captain Harry Maguire.
Kounde, 21, is considered an option to strengthen the defence in January or next summer but any move is likely to rely on United moving on at least two of the centre-backs already at Old Trafford.
Manchester City registered their interest in Kounde in the summer but after scouts described the Frenchman as "an unknown quantity" after just one full season in La Liga, director of football Txiki Begiristain opted instead for Benfica centre-back Ruben Dias.
Nicol: Martial 'fantastic one day' & disappears the next
Steve Nicol doesn't question Anthony Martial's ability, but is quite critical of his lack of consistency.
PAPER TALK (by Harry Kettle)
Romero begs for Man United exit
Romero appeared close to joining Everton near the end of the summer transfer window, and when that didn't come to fruition he was left feeling notably disappointed, with David de Gea and Dean Henderson Ole Gunnar Solskjaer's first- and second-choice options.
The Argentine isn't interested in any kind of payoff from United, and instead he's got his eyes set on a switch over to Major League Soccer. If they don't allow him to leave, he'll be forced to wait out the final few months of his contract.
Real Madrid add Gio Reyna to wishlist
Borussia Dortmund know how to make a young player into a star. They've done it with so many before and now 17-year-old Gio Reyna is next as the American has risen to global attention with his performances this season.
Of course that means other clubs will start to take an interest and Marca reports that Real Madrid are monitoring him closely.
Real spent nothing on players this summer as they prepare a massive move for PSG striker Kylian Mbappe in 2021, and have also been linked with Dortmund's Erling Haaland. But Reyna is also on the list and if he continues his rise, will be hard to ignore.
- West Ham United are still confident they can complete the signing of Said Benrahma despite their latest setback, according to talkSPORT. The Hammers had agreed to an initial fee with Brentford for his services, but due to a disagreement between Benrahma and the Championship club, some had worried the deal was off. As it turns out, West Ham still believe they can make it happen.
- Fulham are in talks to sign defender Terence Kongolo for a fee of £3m before the EFL transfer deadline on Friday, the Mail writes. The 26-year-old Huddersfield Town centre-back saw a proposed move to Sheffield United break down over the summer after reportedly failing his medical. The Netherlands international spent the second half of the 2019-20 season on loan with the Cottagers, but a broken foot saw to it that he only made one league appearance for the club.