<
>

LIVE Transfer Talk: Liverpool add Ajax's David Neres to transfer target list

play
Ajax retain top spot in Eredivisie (1:36)

Ajax ease past winless Fortuna Sittard to return to the top of the league. To watch the Eredivisie, subscribe to ESPN+. (1:36)

The transfer windows in Europe's top leagues are closed, but it's never too late to look forward to January. Click here to view the latest transfers, and keep up to date with the newest gossip below.

All the major completed transfers | European transfer review

TOP STORY: Neres on way to Liverpool?

They may be waltzing away with the Premier League at the moment, but Liverpool still have their eye out for potential recruits.

And Calciomercato reports that their list features Ajax forward David Neres very close to the top. The 22-year-old Brazilian forward was sensational for the Dutch side in last season's Champions League, tearing defences to shreds as his team reached the last four of the competition - losing out to Spurs in the dying seconds of the Madrid final.

Neres' contract with Ajax currently runs until 2023, but we all know that means next to nothing once the big guns of Europe come calling. And the way Liverpool are playing at the moment means he might find overtures from Anfield even harder to turn down.

The versatile South American showed last season that he's capable of playing on either wing, with his lightning fast feet making him one of the most desirable footballers in European football. He has started this Eredivisie season strongly too, scoring twice for his side and laying on an assist in Ajax's Champions League 3-0 hammering of Lille in the opening round of Champions League group matches.

LIVE BLOG

23.00 BST: That will do it for the latest edition of our LIVE Transfer Talk blog. We hoped you enjoyed following along with us and remind you to check back shortly for the latest transfer rumours, rumblings and reports. Goodbye for now!

22.52 BST: Wonderboy Martin Odegaard is starting to make some real noise while on loan at Real Sociedad but could his stay in the Basque region be a short one?

Still on the books at Real Madrid, Odegaard, 20, has tallied two goals and an assist in six games this season for La Real. The Mirror reports that Wolves are one club that is closely monitoring the Norwegian, whose long-term future at the Bernabeu is up for debate. Ambitious Wolves, who have not been shy about splashing the cash since returning to the Premier League, have recently sent scout to watch Odegaard in Spain.

Real Madrid have said they will listen to offers for Odegaaerd who is valued at around £20 million right now, according to reports in Spain.

21.40 BST: Man United goalkeeper David De Gea finally signed a long-term contract extension just two weeks ago but a close member of his support system at Old Trafford will not be along for the ride.

That is because goalkeeper coach and close friend of De Gea, Emilio Alvarez, has decided to leave the club. Alvarez, who came to United in 2016 to work with De Gea, also previously worked with the Spaniard at Atletico Madrid.

Alvarez's departure comes after United appointed Richard Hartis as senior goalkeeper coach in the summer after spells alongside manager Ole Gunnar Solskjaer at Molde and Cardiff.

"I would like to thank Emilio for all the help and hard work since my return to the club," Solskjaer said. "We all wish him well for the future."

20.30 BST: Neymar scored a late winner for the third time in four Ligue 1 games for PSG on Saturday but is all the transfer drama over?

In short? No. PSG boss Thomas Tuchel has spoken out about the summer's biggest transfer saga.

In an interview with beIN Sports, the German manager said "I knew of his desire to leave. He knew it displeased me. For me, it was not the right time, nor the right decision. As coach, he knew I did not want that. Ultimately, we both knew it was not my decision -- nor his. He needed a club that could pay the price and he also needed PSG to accept. We both accepted the decision was not in our hands and agreed it would not impact our relationship as there was still the possibility that we would remain working together."

If Neymar keeps scoring like he has been lately this will all be water under the bridge... at least for now.

19.12 BST: Victor Lindelof is a Man United player but what about all those rumours this past summer?

Lindelof's agent Hasan Cetinkaya claims that Barcelona made multiple attempts to sign the Swedish centre-back, with Lindelof Barca's Plan B after target Matthijs de Ligt signed with Juventus. Lindelof's agent told Swedish newspaper Aftonbladet the following:

"When Matthijs de Ligt chose Juventus, Victor was pronounced Barcelona's first choice.

"His way of playing, his DNA, is very close to Barcelona's way of playing. He is one of the world's best centre-backs with the ball at his feet, and Barcelona wanted him. That's how it was. I can talk about that now.

"They contacted Ed Woodward on numerous occasions with concrete offers. I had a meeting with their transfer manager, Matt Judge, to try to make a transition. But they just said: 'There is no chance. Victor is one of our best players'.

18.18 BST: Shifting to MLS for a moment...

The Daily Mail writes that D.C. United, Wayne Rooney's current club, are lining up a move for Rangers goalkeeper Wes Foderingham. The 28-year-old, who lost his starting position last season to Allan McGregor last season, is out of contract next summer and is reportedly an attractive proposition to the American club.

Foderingham is free to talk to other clubs beginning in January, and also figures to receive considerable interest from clubs in the English Championship.

17.27 BST: Harry Wilson has had a good start to his loan spell at Bournemouth, despite Wilson originally stating his desire to fight for his place at Anfield.

The 22-year-old has scored three goals thus far the Cherries and his performances have not gone unnoticed by Liverpool manager Jurgen Klopp. Wilson says Klopp texted him a smiley face emoji after his first goal back in August against Aston Villa. Wilson is enjoying his time on the south coast but remains adamant that his dream is make it at Liverpool.

"Being at Liverpool since the age of eight, it's always been my dream to break into the first team and be playing at Anfield week in, week out.'

We'll see what the future holds for young Wilson but at least we now know Klopp is a big emoji guy!

16.39 BST: Barcelona have rekindled their interest in Chelsea midfielder Willian, according to the Daily Mail.

The Brazilian is free to open talks with foreign clubs in January as his contract is due to expire at the end of the season.

The 31-year-old has previously been a Barca target, and Chelsea have rebuffed several bids in the past.

15.23 BST: Real Madrid target Donny van de Beek is set to sign a new contract with Ajax, Voetbal International reports.

The Dutch outlet claims that the 22-year-old attacking midfielder will sign a new deal that gives him a big pay rise, following his part in Ajax's run to the Champions League semifinals last season.

However, the report adds that the length of the contract will not extended beyond 2022, the expiry date of his current deal, so a transfer could still on the cards next summer.

14.15 BST: Manchester City manager Pep Guardiola has ruled out making any signings in January despite the club's injury crisis in defence.

Aymeric Laporte and John Stones are both currently injured, leaving Nicolas Otamendi as the club's only senior recognised centre-back who is fit. The Argentine has been partnered at the back by midfielder Fernandinho in recent games.

However, despite that, Guardiola says he will keep faith with city's young players to provide cover if they are needed.

"That is not my business but in January we are not going to buy because we don't have money to pay a huge amount in the summer so we cannot do it in winter," Guardiola told Sky. "We are going to stick to the players we have, with [Taylor] Harwood-Bellis and Eric [Garcia] and with the new players in the academy. We have young, talented players and we can count on them."

13.28 BST: Paul Pogba wants his Manchester United wage doubled in a new contract if he is to stay at Old Trafford, according to Tuttosport.

The Italian outlet reports that the France midfielder will demand a new deal worth £600,000 a week in order to snub interest from Real Madrid and former club Juventus.

12.35 BST: Arthur's future at Barcelona could be in jeopardy after he was pictured on a night out with his fellow Brazilian, Neymar, according to Marca.

The Madrid-based sport daily reports that Barcelona are unhappy with the midfielder, who had to apologise to the club last season after he attended Neymar's birthday party in Paris.

A repeat of the same indiscretion in the very next season could test the patience of Barca, who might seek to use Arthur as a makeweight in a deal to bring Neymar back to the club next summer.

11.48 BST: Liverpool manager Jurgen Klopp remains relaxed about James Milner's situation despite the midfielder being in the final year of his contract.

Milner turns 34 on Jan. 4, at which time he will be able to speak to foreign clubs about a free summer in the summer if he wishes. However, the Daily Telegraph reports that the club have opened talks with the former Manchester city player over a new deal.

Klopp said of his vice-captain in a news conference ahead of Saturday's match at Sheffield United: "It's only September, no one is getting nervous. I don't see the need to worry because he just loves what he's doing. He's fine with his career at this stage. When he started out he was the best young player of his age group. He grew up the hard way, playing for a number of different clubs, and now he is older he has become really calm. I think he likes it here and from the club's point of view he is great to have around; he can play in five different positions."

10.59 BST: The English Football League (EFL) is investigating Liverpool to find out if the Premier League club potentially fielded an ineligible player in their third round Carabao Cup victory over Milton Keynes Dons on Wednesday.

Possible sanctions could include a fine or Liverpool being removed from the competition. The identity of the player in question was not disclosed.

Liverpool beat League One side MK Dons 2-0 to set up a fourth round clash with Arsenal at the Emirates Stadium. Liverpool manager Jurgen Klopp fielded four teenagers in the starting line-up for the third round clash.

09.30 BST: Manchester United manager now has one of the club's recruitment staff reporting directly to him with scouting information of his transfer targets, The Sun reports.

Solskjaer has taken the step as United's search for a full-time technical director to oversee all transfer business has gone on for a year without appointing anyone to the newly created role.

According to The Sun, Solskjaer is now working closely with Simon Well,s the United staffer who helped secure the signing of Victor Lindelof.

- Dawson: Inside United's painfully long search for a technical director

PAPER TALK (by Richard Edwards): Madrid looking to recall Odegaard

Martin Odegaard is currently on loan at Real Sociedad -- his third club since signing for Madrid in 2015 -- but how long he stays there has become the source of intense debate in Spain, according to AS.

The Norway international is due to stay at the Basque club for two seasons, having chosen Sociedad over Bayer Leverkusen in the summer. But having shone for them in La Liga, rumours are flying that Los Blancos and their under-fire manager Zinedine Zidane could recall him to the Bernabeu far sooner.

And it's no surprise given the way he's tearing up in the Spanish top flight, after doing the same for Vitesse in the Eredivisie last season. Real Madrid are currently short of options in midfield, and the report speculates that that shortage, coupled with his majestic form, could see him return to the Spanish capital sooner rather than later.

Neymar set to make peace with Barca. As long as they buy him back

Barca boss Ernesto Valverde declared himself a nine and a half out of 10 when asked how bored he was with the constant rumours linking Neymar with a return to the club. Most journalists and supporters of PSG and Barca, not to mention every other club in Europe, would probably agree with that take.

- When does the transfer window reopen?
- All major completed transfer deals

But despite the fatigue, according to Spanish station Cadena SER (via AS), the saga shows no signs of abating as meetings are still going on between the Brazilian's representatives and the president of Barca. Those meetings, however, are not to secure a transfer but to stop the ongoing wrangle over how much each side owes the other from a disputed renewal bonus back in 2016.

Neymar is prepared to overlook that claim, and stop the case from going to court on one condition: Barcelona need to put in writing their commitment to re-sign him. No really. You couldn't make it up. Poor Ernesto.

Tap-ins

- Brescia midfielder Sandro Tonali could be on his way to Borussia Dortmund, with the €50 million rated teenager a potential target for the German giants. Calciomercato reports that the 19-year-old is already being tailed by Milan and Juventus and now Dortmund have joined the queue for his services. Scouts have been falling over themselves to attend Brescia's matches since the start of the season and Tonali has let no one down.

- Juventus striker Gonzalo Higuain says he won't rule out a return to his beloved River Plate back in Argentina, but he's focused on seeing out his contract at the Serie A champions. Talking to FOX Sports Argentina, the ex-Real Madrid man revealed he isn't thinking of his next step -- including possibly retiring -- but that he is focused on the Italian club.