Mohammad Abbas makes early dent in Gloucestershire reply against Leicestershire

Mohammad Abbas celebrates a wicket Getty Images

Gloucestershire 41 for 3 (Abbas 3-10) trail Leicestershire 487 (Dexter 180, Azad 137, Ackermann 56*) by 446 runs

Mohammad Abbas took three quick wickets before rain ended play early in Gloucestershire's reply to a formidable Leicestershire first innings on the second day of the County Championship match at the Fischer County Ground.

Abbas, moving the ball prodigiously through the air and off the pitch, dismissed Miles Hammond caught behind, James Bracey leg before and Gareth Roderick caught behind before the weather closed in, leaving the Pakistan international with 3 for 10 from seven overs.

Resuming on 343 for 5, the Foxes had quickly lost nightwatchman Chris Wright, driving at a delivery from Chad Sayers and edging a straightforward catch to first slip.

Harry Dearden joined Colin Ackermann in compiling a partnership of 46 for the seventh wicket before Dearden was also caught off an edged drive, this time by Roderick off the bowling of Josh Shaw, a fifth catch in the innings for the Gloucestershire wicket-keeper.

Ackermann was joined at the crease by the busy Lewis Hill, and after enjoying one piece of good fortune when he edged Ryan Higgins at catchable height straight between the wicketkeeper and first slip - neither of whom moved a muscle towards the ball - Hill went for his shots, hitting seven boundaries before hooking a David Payne bouncer into the hands of Graeme van Buuren at deep backward square.

Dieter Klein saw Ackermann through to a half-century before being dismissed leg before by Shaw, and last man Abbas did not last long, bowled through the gate by the occasional off-spin of Chris Dent.

When Gloucestershire began their reply, however, Abbas responded in kind. Swinging the ball away from the visitors' left-handed opening pair, he repeatedly beat the bat before Hammond finally edged a catch through to Hill behind the stumps.

Bracey too was beaten on several occasions before being dismissed leg before, and Roderick went first ball to a delivery which bounced and took the edge.

Benny Howell survived a concerted leg before appeal, and he and Dent would have been relieved men when the occasional showers, which had already seen the players leave the field twice, settled into steady rain and prevented any further play for the day.