Anthony Joshua destroys Eric Molina, sets up Wladimir Klitschko clash at Wembley

Stephen McCarthy/Sportsfile via Getty Images

MANCHESTER, England -- Anthony Joshua moved on to bigger and better things after quickly demolishing Eric Molina in the third round on Saturday.

The IBF world heavyweight champion's easy demolition job sets up a clash against Wladimir Klitschko at Wembley Stadium on April 29, which was confirmed in the ring afterwards by promoter Eddie Hearn.

Ukrainian Klitschko, 41 in March, was ringside at the Manchester Arena and must have thought what he is letting himself in for after witnessing close-up Joshua's mauling of Molina.

It was as easy as a game of skittles for Joshua to knock over Molina, who looked out of his depth and in trouble early in the third round during the Briton's swift second title defence.

Joshua forced the stoppage two minutes two second of the third round after first flooring American Molina with a right.

But Joshua, 27, made a cautious start behind his jab before exploding into life in the third round.

Molina, 34, looked comfortable for most of the first round, except for a ramrod jab that rocked him back on to his heels.

Joshua, the 2012 Olympic gold medallist, boxed cautiously in the second round as well, catching Molina at close range with a left uppercut but he did give the challenger anything to be concerned about until the third round.

Joshua unloaded with more venom in the third and then caught Molina flush with a right to the jaw in the American 's corner.

Molina only just beat the count and when the action resumed Joshua landed a quick flurry of punches which was enough for referee Steve Gray to call the fight off.

Molina had promised to pull off an upset to rank alongside fellow American Oliver McCall's two-round KO of Lennox Lewis in London in 1994.

But the 34-year-old Texan failed to once inconvenience the 2012 Olympic gold medallist who improved his fearsome professional record to 18 wins - all by KO.

Molina went nine rounds with Deontay Wilder, who holds the WBC world title, before he was knocked out last year.

But Joshua, 27, got the job done quicker and only two boxers have managed to take the north Londoner beyond three rounds.

Some critics argue Joshua has had it easy so far - but it is hard to fault devastating displays such as this.

Fans now want to see Joshua in more action against better opponents - and Klitschko will certainly provide that.

Molina had only been drafted in as an opponent at less than six weeks' notice after Klitschko decided not to box Joshua until 2017.

Tougher tests now loom for Joshua - starting with Klitschko, whose nine-year reign was ended by a surprise points loss to Briton Tyson Fury last year.

"I was patient and we move on this is not the end of the story," said Joshua in the ring.

"You will realise what I'm all about now. Klitschko wants his belts back and may the best man win. I will worry about myself and training."

After the fight, Klitschko then got into the ring and promoter Eddie Hearn confirmed Joshua's next fight would be against the Ukrainian.

"You want a big fight and you've got it," said Klitschko to the crowd.

Dillian Whyte won a thrilling toe-to-toe encounter by with a debatable split points win over Dereck Chisora late last night.

The Londoner beat his British rival by scores of 115-114, 115-114 to 115-113 in an the eliminator for the WBC world heavyweight title, held by American Deontay Wilder.

The controversial result was in keeping to the build-up.

The two London-based heavyweights clashed at the press conference on Wednesday during which Chisora hurled at table towards Whyte and security had to restrain members of the boxers' teams.

As a result, the British Boxing Board of Control withdrew its sanctioning of the fight for the British heavyweight title. The Board also fined Chisora £25,000 and ordered him to pay £5,000 costs.

The Zimbabwe-born boxer, who in 2012 was banned after he brawled with fellow Briton David Haye at a post-fight press conference in Munich, made a busy start as he tried to bully his smaller opponent.

And Chisora landed with a thudding left in the second round as Whyte tried to slow him down with body shots.

Whyte, who was stopped by Anthony Joshua a year ago, took a pummelling in the third as Chisora continued to look impressive.

In contrast to how he had been during the week, Chisora was disciplined in the ring and took the early rounds.

Chisora even came close to stopping it in the fifth round when he caught Whyte with a left and then unloaded a flurry of shots with his rival trapped against the ropes.

But Chisora ran out of steam and Whyte was able to recover and in the sixth round was better with good work at close range.

The pair ended the seventh swapping blows toe-to-toe and the eighth was even more vicious, with both landing huge shots on one another.

Chisora seemed to be ahead and he wobbled Whyte with a cuffing right in the ninth and last rounds.

Khalid Yafai became Birmingham's first world boxing champion for over a century when he lifted the vacant WBA world super-flyweight title unanimously on points.

Panama's Luis Concepcion (35-5, 24 KOs) lost his WBA world super-flyweight title on the scales when he failed to make weight on Friday for a first defence against Briton Yafai (21-0, 14 KOs).

The fight went ahead, with the opportunity for Yafai to win the vacant belt, and the Birmingham boxer looked up to the task in the first half of the fight.

Yafai, 27, caught Concepcion with some clean blows in the sixth and seventh rounds and then with a big left at the end of the eighth.

Yafai dominated, flooring Concepcion with a left in the tenth, and earning scores of 120-108, 119-108 and 117-110 to become Birmingham's first world champion since bantamweight Owen Moran in 1907.

"It's unbelievable, it's going to take a while to sink in," said Yafai.

"I knew I was going to do it, it was just a matter of how. I just did what I needed to do , got through it. I still feel that I have a lot more in me and plenty more to give, this win will take me up to another level now.

"I always knew I was capable of a win like that. I really didn't think he was that great in there, I felt from round one that I was winning he rounds comfortably, doing what I needed to do and making sure that I had plenty in the tank in the championship rounds.

"He was tough and physical but he wasn't as strong as I thought he would be on the inside and he didn't punch as hard as I thought he would. He had decent power, but not the power that I thought he would."

Scott Quigg (32-1-2, 24 KOs) had his first fight since losing a version of the world super-bantamweight title to Carl Frampton in February when he Jose Cayetano in the ninth round of a featherweight bout. Quigg had been kept out of action with a jaw injury but produced an impressive finish after the lay-off.

Irishwoman Katie Taylor had to settle for a six round points win Brazilian Viviane Obenauf with a slick display of boxing in her second professional fight.

Taylor, the 2012 gold medallist, forced a count in the second with a left and she was just too skilful and fast for her second professional opponent.

But US-based super-featherweight Taylor, who only made her professional debut two weeks ago, could not finish off brave Obenauf, who was cut badly around the left eye in the fifth by a right hook.

Obenauf even cheekily kissed Taylor on the cheek during a clinch in the sixth round of what was a decent test for Taylor, who triumphed 60-53 on points.

Earlier in the evening, Callum Smith (22-0, 17 KOS) defended his British super-middleweight title after stopping Luke Blackledge in the tenth round with a wicked left hook.

There were then worrying scenes as Blackledge was given oxygen in the ring before recovering after a few minutes and getting to his feet.

Smith is due a shot at the WBC world title, held by Sweden's US-based Badou Jack, next year.

Your take