Revs score twice in stoppage to top KC 2-0

FOXBOROUGH, Mass. -- Better late than never was the mantra for the Revolution at Gillette Stadium on Saturday, as stoppage-time goals from Teal Bunbury and Lee Nguyen gave the hosts a 2-0 win over Sporting Kansas City.

After a scoreless 90 minutes, Bunbury steered a Diego Fagundez pass into the net in the 92nd minute, while Nguyen struck from the spot for the second straight week in the 95th minute to keep the Revolution unbeaten (2-0-1) at home this season.

For the second straight week, the Revolution benefited from an opponent's red card when Aurelien Collin was sent off in the 74th minute.

With the win, the Revolution get to the .500 mark for the first time this season (3-3-2, 11 points), while Kansas City sees its five-game unbeaten run (3-0-2) come to an end.

What it means: It seemed like a game that was destined to end scoreless going into stoppage time. The Revolution offense, despite its best efforts, was flummoxed for much of the match, even after Collin was sent off. But in classic, never-say-die fashion, Bunbury broke through, while Nguyen converted from the spot after Uri Rossel handled a Fagundez header inside the area. Despite finding themselves frustrated for much of the match, there's no doubt that the Revolution will feel good about the way they finished the game.

Stat of the match: The Revolution's win snapped a six-game regular-season winless streak (0-3-3) against Kansas City. Their last win over K.C. came in a 3-2 win at Gillette Stadium on April 23, 2011.

Alston out, Sene excused: Revolution left back Kevin Alston was unavailable due to red-card suspension after he was sent off in last weekend's match at Chicago for handling Alex Pineda's shot on the goal line. The Revolution were also without midfielder/forward Saer Sene, who was excused this weekend for personal reasons, per team president Brian Bilello.

Lineup changes: With Alston out, veteran Chris Tierney resumed his duties at left back. Tierney had been hampered by a hip injury in recent weeks and missed a pair of games before coming on as a second-half substitute last week. Teal Bunbury took over on the right for Sene, while Jerry Bengtson got his first start of the season at forward.

Next up: The Revolution will face the new-look Toronto FC for the first time in 2014 on Saturday, May 3 at BMO Field. Kickoff is scheduled for 1 p.m. Last year, the Revolution went 1-1-1 against the Reds.