Ian Gough sentenced for assaulting former girlfriend
August 28, 2014
Former Wales second-row Ian Gough has been ordered to pay £2130 in fines and costs after attacking Sophia Cahill days after his beauty queen ex-girlfriend got engaged to singer-turned-DJ Dane Bowers.
Gough, 37, was sentenced after he was found guilty in July of assaulting Cahill on January 5. Gough's lawyer said the player was appealing against the verdict.
Cahill did not attend Gough's sentencing in south London but she said through a victim impact statement read out on her behalf that she had suffered anxiety and panic attacks since the incident.
Prosecutor Christian Wheeliker said the medication she takes for her conditions means she is unable to drive, affecting her work as a TV presenter. Cahill also complained of becoming the target of harassment by Gough's family and the victim of allegations on social media.
Mark Haslam, defending the Newport Gwent Dragons player, contested Cahill's claim that she cannot drive, saying she had been spotted behind the wheel of her white Jeep in Swansea on Tuesday.
He described the assault as "one isolated incident" that happened during one of many meetings between the former couple as they picked up or dropped off their son.
He said that Cahill suffered no signs of physical injury from the attack, and Gough was of previous good character with no convictions or cautions. Cheryl Southern-Petty accepted in sentencing Gough that he was previously of "excellent character".
Gough was fined £1050, and ordered to pay a £105 victim surcharge along with a £775 contribution to prosecution costs and £200 in compensation to Cahill.
© ESPN Sports Media Ltd
Communication error please reload the page.
Debutant Keegan Brown survived a determined fightback from John Part to claim victory in the opening match of the World Darts Championship
Southampton manager Ronald Koeman has confirmed that Jay Rodriguez has suffered a setback in his recovery from injury
Aston Villa manager Paul Lambert has denied reports of a bust-up between his former assistant Roy Keane and midfielder Tom Cleverley
Mario Balotelli has been banned for one match and fined £25,000 pounds after sending an offensive message on social media, the FA has confirmed
Former England batsman Kevin Pietersen hit 66 from 46 balls on his debut for the Melbourne Stars and then said he hoped the national selectors were watching