Henson unavailable for Welsh trial
May 14, 2014
Gavin Henson will not be playing in the Welsh trial match © Getty Images
Bath duo Gavin Henson and Paul James will not be available for Wales' Possibles v Probables match on May 30.
The match falls outside of the agreed international Test window and Premier Rugby policy prevents clubs from allowing players to run out for their countries in that instance. As a result, Bath will fall in line with PRL regulations and James and Henson will be available for Wales duty from June 1, a Bath spokesperson confirmed to ESPN.
Earlier this week, a PRL spokesperson explained their stance over international release, saying: "Premiership Rugby has a policy to only release non-England players under the conditions of the International Rugby Board's regulation nine. This regulation covers international release for every Test country across the world. This trial match does not fall under IRB regulation nine."
The news will come as a blow for Henson's Test prospects with him being named in the 'Probables' squad. Wales boss Warren Gatland said on Tuesday he will be reluctant to pick those not involved in the trial match.
"If they are not involved it makes if difficult for us to select them," Gatland said. "And, going forward, we might potentially have to review the policy of picking English-based players if they are not available to us."
© ESPN Sports Media Ltd
Communication error please reload the page.
Chelsea manager Jose Mourinho has warned that any Champions League slip-up could be fatal to his unbeaten team
Daniel Sturridge has insisted the thigh strain that has likely ruled him out until the New Year is "just another hurdle to jump over" as he bids to return to action for Liverpool
Wasps back Elliot Daly has been cited for alleged verbal abuse of a referee
Chris Eubank Jr has claimed he can detect chinks in Billy Joe Saunders' armour that tell him his opponent is not ready for their upcoming fight
Olivier Giroud will miss both of Arsenal's remaining Champions League group matches after the club made the mistake of not including the striker on their original squad list