Gatland defends Wales' playing style
February 12, 2014
Warren Gatland answers questions from the press in Cardiff © Getty Images
Warren Gatland has insisted there was nothing wrong with the playing style adopted by Wales during their 26-3 drubbing in Dublin, explaining the fault was with the way the game plan was executed.
Responding to criticism from former Wales fly-half Jonathan Davies that Wales did not appear have a back-up plan, Gatland said: "People wanted to be critical and saying, 'where's your Plan B'? Well, we didn't even execute Plan A well enough.
"If you get those things wrong in terms of where we were dominated, Plan A or B or Z wouldn't have made a difference to the result. We just weren't good enough on the day.
"I think when you lose games, the critics out there come and say they think they know the way we're playing. With both games we've played, we've played differently in both games. We haven't gone in with the same game-plan against Italy as we have against Ireland."
Despite the loss, Gatland remained upbeat ahead of the match against France on February 21. "I think we can go into that game with a certain amount of confidence at home that we're good enough to win. When they've got a few points up they play with a bit of confidence, but there were a couple of turnover opportunities that they took.
"I thought Italy were in the game for long periods, particularly in the first half. France have had a couple of chances to score and have taken those, but not from anything hugely creative.
"That's a good win for them and a good confidence boost for them winning their first two games, and for us the next game at home is a massive game for us."
© ESPN Sports Media Ltd
Communication error please reload the page.
Former Liverpool goalkeeper Bruce Grobbelaar says the club must sign a replacement for Simon Mignolet - because the Belgian stopper is "worse than Dracula"
Rory McIlroy is relishing another Australian Open battle with Adam Scott and admits his victory in Sydney last year sparked his triumphant return to form in 2014
Rickie Lambert admits he has struggled with the pressure of playing for boyhood club Liverpool since his £4.5 million summer move from Southampton
The British Government has weighed into the FIFA controversy by urging the world governing body to publish Michael Garcia's report into the bidding for the 2018 and 2022 World Cups in full
Brendan Rodgers says Liverpool can benefit from their recent losing streak as they head into Wednesday's crucial Champions League clash against Ludogorets Razgrad