White: St-Pierre comments 'insane'January 16, 2014 « Wenger: No World Cup chance for Walcott | Rudenko pulls out of Chisora bout »
UFC president Dana White said he was shocked by Georges St-Pierre's attack on the promotion's drug-testing stance, calling the former welterweight champion's comments "insane."
"This whole Georges St-Pierre thing is shocking, weird and it's insane," White said during a post-fight show on Wednesday on Fox Sports Live.
St-Pierre, who vacated the belt last month and stepped away from the sport, said on Tuesday that part of the reason he did so was the UFC's lax drug policy. He also believes fighters won't speak out on issues because of fear of repercussions.
White attacked St-Pierre's comments on drug testing, pointing to a recent company-mandated suspension of heavyweight Antonio Silva, who tested positive for elevated levels of testosterone following an international event in December.
Silva received a nine-month suspension from the UFC and forfeited a $50,000 fight-night bonus. The UFC is self-regulated in many international markets because of the absence of formal athletic commissions.
"Silva was on [testosterone replacement therapy] and was being tested," White said. "Like we do with him, Vitor [Belfort] and all the other guys [on TRT], we tested him up until the fight, and his levels were perfect. After we tested him, he took a shot.
"We buried 'Bigfoot' Silva. We literally buried him for it."
UFC CEO and co-owner Lorenzo Fertitta told ESPN.com he was surprised by St-Pierre's comments and said the issue did not come up when the Canadian star discussed his departure from the promotion last month.
White echoed that claim on Wednesday, adding there has been no contact between the UFC and St-Pierre since the statements were made.
Prior to a title fight in Las Vegas against Johny Hendricks at UFC 167 on November 16, St-Pierre submitted to third-party drug testing under the Voluntary Anti-Doping Association. Initially, Hendricks agreed to do the same.
That agreement fell through, however, due to what Hendricks' team perceived as "red flags" in the relationship between VADA and St-Pierre. VADA had agreed to partially fund the testing.
St-Pierre underwent the VADA programme on his own. Hendricks submitted to the standard testing performed by the Nevada State Athletic Commission. Neither fighter tested positive for banned substances.
In his comments on Tuesday, St-Pierre expressed resentment toward the UFC for what he felt was a lack of support in his efforts.
"I tried to change things, and unfortunately - maybe for money reasons, maybe for image - they were not ready to do that," he said.
The title fight was extremely close, resulting in the second split-decision victory of St-Pierre's career. Immediately afterward, White was very public in his opinion that Hendricks won the bout, which he said might have alienated St-Pierre.
"I heard Georges St-Pierre is upset that I thought Johny Hendricks won the fight and didn't like a lot of the things I said at the post-fight press conference," White said. "Well, be a man and pick up the phone or let's talk face-to-face.
"We talked face-to-face that night after the fight, and he didn't say a word about it."