Bisping withdraws from boutSeptember 28, 2013 « Torres starts for Chelsea against Spurs | Strauss reveals Pietersen troubles »
Middleweight Michael Bisping has been forced to withdraw from a main-event bout against Mark Munoz on October 26 in Manchester due to an eye injury, UFC president Dana White told ESPN.com.
Former light-heavyweight champion Lyoto Machida, who previously announced plans to move to middleweight, will take Bisping's place, according to White. The bout still will headline UFC Fight Night 30.
"We're going to get him the best treatment possible," White said of Bisping. "Hopefully he'll be able to get through this thing."
Bisping (24-5) underwent eye surgery for a detached retina earlier this year following a technical decision win over Alan Belcher at UFC 159 in April. Bisping has experienced complications with the same eye, White said.
It is unclear whether the injury will affect Bisping, 34, in the long term.
Machida (19-4) was scheduled to make his 185-pound debut on November 6 against Tim Kennedy. The Brazilian opted to drop weight classes following a decision loss to Phil Davis at UFC 163 in August.
No replacement has been named to face Kennedy, according to UFC officials.
Munoz (13-3) is the No. 7-ranked middleweight in the world, according to ESPN.com. He is coming off a unanimous decision win over Tim Boetsch at UFC 162.
Download ESPN's new UK sport app, a fresh and powerful new way to follow your favourite UK sports news, scores and video.
This article first appeared on ESPN.com