• UFC 160

Mark Hunt gets Dos Santos at UFC 160... eventually

ESPN staff
March 9, 2013 « Rescue bids alive for QPR and Villa after crucial day | Chartbeat test »
Mark Hunt broke the jaw of Stefan Struve © Getty Images
Enlarge

The confusion over Mark Hunt v Junior Dos Santos has cleared, with the end result being that the two heavyweights will square off at UFC 160 in Las Vegas.

Dos Santos had been scheduled to meet Alistair Overeem on May 25, but not for the first time Overeem was forced to pull out of the co-main event.

It was instantly speculated that Hunt - who recently knocked out Stefan Struve - could step in, but UFC president Dana White initially claimed Dos Santos v Overeem would be rescheduled.

White said Hunt did not want the Dos Santos fight, despite Hunt having already said to the contrary. Then came a later tweet from White that said: "Mark Hunt and I just got off the phone and had a GREAT conversation!!"

Now the president has confirmed to MMA Fighting that Hunt will square off with Dos Santos on the UFC 160 card, which is headlined by the title bout between Cain Velasquez and Antonio Silva.

The future of Overeem is, for now, left unclear.

© ESPN Sports Media Ltd.
Close