UFC

/ News

  • UFC 156

Pettis says he'll drop weight for Aldo fight

ESPN staff
February 4, 2013 « Etim: Renee Forte gets punished at Wembley Arena | Chartbeat test »
Anthony Pettis is after a fight with Jose Aldo © Getty Images
Enlarge

UFC lightweight Anthony Pettis is next in line for a shot at the 155-pound title. It appears he may opt for a shot at the 145-pound belt instead.

Moments after featherweight champion Jose Aldo defended his belt against Frankie Edgar at UFC 156 at the Mandalay Bay Events Center, UFC president Dana White said he received a text from Pettis, who wants to be Aldo's next challenge.

"Something interesting happened about 10 minutes ago," White said at the post-fight news conference. "Anthony Pettis said, 'I want to go to 145 and fight Jose Aldo.' He told me he'll make 145."

Pettis (16-2) is coming off a first-round knockout over Donald Cerrone at a UFC on Fox event one week ago. The win all but guaranteed him a shot at the winner of a scheduled lightweight title fight between Benson Henderson and Gilbert Melendez.

It now appears Pettis would forfeit that shot for a title fight at 145 pounds, a weight class he's never fought in. White refused to go so far as to confirm the bout, but admitted he likes the matchup.

"It didn't cross my mind until he texted me, but it's crossing my mind now," White said. "I like it, and I like Pettis."

Aldo (22-1), who defeated Edgar via unanimous decision, expressed interest in the fight.

"It's up to Dana, but it's an interesting fight," Aldo said. "I train to fight the best. I respect them all. I think Pettis is close to a title shot in his own division."

Left out in the scenario is current featherweight Ricardo Lamas (13-2), who is riding a four-fight winning streak and coming off his own impressive showing against Erik Koch last week. White said Lamas would likely fight another top contender if Pettis dropped.

This article first appeared on ESPN.com

© ESPN Sports Media Ltd.
Close