UFC

/ News

  • UFC news

Cormier wants Mir in March, then four more fights

ESPN staff
December 18, 2012 « Dodson chasing pigs & squirrels to prepare for Johnson | Chartbeat test »
Daniel Cormier fights Dion Staring in January © Getty Images
Enlarge

Daniel Cormier has targeted a March UFC debut against Frank Mir, insisting he wants five fights in 2013.

Cormier, undefeated in the Strikeforce heavyweight division, is expected to switch to the UFC after he meets Dion Staring on January 12. Provided he wins that bout, he intends to take on Mir in his first Octagon encounter.

The 33-year-old is seen as a potential future rival for Junior Dos Santos, if the Brazilian remains champion after his UFC 155 rematch with Cain Velasquez. And Cormier plans to waste no time climbing the heavyweight ladder.

"The other day I got tweeted that Frank Mir said he would love to fight me in the UFC," Cormier told MMAWeekly Radio. "I've got to fight this guy Dion and I'm hoping to fight Frank when I get in the UFC.

"I'm hoping that I can make my UFC debut around March and if I get through that fight not too hurt, I'd like to fight again in May or June, and then I'll fight in September and then I'll fight again at the end of the year.

"I'm a wrestler, we wrestle every week, so if I can get four or five fights [in 2013] that would be great for me."

Cormier has also been linked with a move to light-heavyweight, where he could challenge Jon Jones. UFC president Dana White has previously gone on record suggesting this as his preferred route.

© ESPN Sports Media Ltd.
Close