UFC

/ News

  • UFC news

'Embarrassed' MacDonald wants Condit revenge

ESPN staff
November 22, 2012 « Chelsea close in on Benitez | Chartbeat test »

Rory MacDonald has told ESPN of the "embarrassment" he felt when losing to Carlos Condit in June 2010, and says the fire for revenge against the Natural Born Killer still burns from within.

MacDonald is heading for a December showdown with BJ Penn, after which he predicts he may be set for a showdown with Nick Diaz. However, the youngster's No. 1 choice of opponent would be Condit.

Condit failed at UFC 154 in his attempt to take the welterweight title from Georges St-Pierre, who is a team-mate of MacDonald at Tristar Gym. Nevertheless, Condit's performance was good enough to keep him among the top talent at 170lbs.

MacDonald's one and only loss came against Condit when, after dominating for two rounds, he was stopped seven seconds from the end of the fight. It earned Fight of the Night honours, but MacDonald wants a rematch.

"I respect him (Condit) completely, he's one of the guys I respect most in the sport," MacDonald told ESPN. "His outlook and his attitude is great.

"But I feel like I was embarrassed in that fight. I want to prove to myself and the world that I am the better fighter and I want revenge for the embarrassment I felt that night.

"Everyone has their own opinion of the fight, but at the end of the day I lost and was embarrassed. It is what it is. I plan to be the world champ."

MacDonald had previously stated twice during a Q&A session in Montreal that he wanted to rematch Condit. The 23-year-old even named him as the man he would like to face in a TUF coaching rivalry.

First up, though, is that showdown with Penn, which features on a stacked December 8 card headlined by Ben Henderson v Nate Diaz.

© ESPN Sports Media Ltd.
Close