UFC

/ News

  • Lightweight

Cerrone philosophical about TUF snub

ESPN staff
October 22, 2012 « Kick It Out chief slams Rio boycott | Chartbeat test »
Donald Cerrone is desperate for a shot at Anthony Pettis © Getty Images
Enlarge

Lightweight Donald Cerrone is taking the positives from the UFC's decision to overlook him as a coach for The Ultimate Fighter.

Cerrone and Anthony Pettis had been slated as coaches for TUF 17, but were brushed aside as the promotion announced that light-heavyweight champion Jon Jones and trash-talking rival Chael Sonnen would go head-to-head.

But Cerrone, who is desperate to return to the Octagon after his first-round knockout of Melvin Guillard at UFC 150 in August, believes the move will allow him to face Pettis sooner.

"Nothing's set, they just keep telling us, mid-January, end of January, be ready for January," Cerrone told Bleacher Report. "You know January will be a quicker opportunity to fight, if we were doing the show it would have been delayed until June or July."

Referring to the UFC's decision to announce Jones and Sonnen as rival coaches of TUF 17, Cerrone said: "Obviously we got overrun by a bigger, badder wolf."

© ESPN Sports Media Ltd.
Close