• UFC news

Overeem to fight JDS v Velasquez winner in Spring 2013

ESPN staff
October 14, 2012 « Murray won't dwell on wasted chances to win | Chartbeat test »
Junior Dos Santos is waiting for his rematch with Cain Velasquez © Getty Images
Enlarge

UFC president Dana White has confirmed the winner of Junior Dos Santos v Cain Velasquez will fight Alistair Overeem, most likely in March or April of next year.

Dos Santos and Velasquez are scheduled to fight on the last card of the year in December for the UFC heavyweight crown. The bout acts as a rematch after Dos Santos won the first meeting in 64 seconds.

Overeem had been brought to the UFC as a ready-made title challenger - a status he cemented by beating Brock Lesnar, but after he tested for elevated testosterone-to-epitestosterone levels the former Strikeforce man was forced to spend a number of months on the sidelines.

Upon his return it was unclear if Overeem would be thrown directly into a title fight, but White confirmed that is the plan.

"The winner of that fight will fight Overeem [in March or April]," White said at the UFC 153 post-fight press conference.

Overeem can reapply for a fight licence with the Nevada State Athletic Commission on December 27, making it impossible for him to get a warm-up fight before he heads for the championship bout. And White claims Dos Santos is desperate to fight him.

"He (Dos Santos) said, 'Alistair Overeem is a punk. He's got a big mouth, and he's been saying lots of bad things about me, and I want to knock him out. I want to knock him out now'," White revealed.

© ESPN Sports Media Ltd.
Close