UFC

/ News

  • UFC 152

Machida won't get next title shot at Jon Jones

ESPN staff
September 5, 2012 « United confirm Henriquez capture | Chartbeat test »

Lyoto Machida appears to have shot himself in the foot regarding the prospect of a title shot in the near future, after UFC president Dana White confessed the Brazilian had spurned his chance by turning down a crack at UFC 152.

After the cancellation of UFC 151, which was supposed to be headlined by Jon Jones v Dan Henderson, Machida was offered the chance to rematch Jones for the light-heavyweight strap on four weeks' notice at UFC 152.

Machida had marked his status as the next challenger for the title after knocking out Ryan Bader, and had constantly stated his desire to get his belt back. However, when offered the chance on four weeks' notice, he declined.

"This is the guy that had been terrorising me for a title shot, and then he said four weeks wasn't enough," White told UFC Tonight.

"Lyoto has been crying for this title shot for a long time and you know how this stuff goes. When you turn down the opportunity to fight, things start going in another path.

"It happened to Rashad Evans. Rashad Evans was out of a fight for a year-and-a-half."

As a result, Vitor Belfort took the bout at UFC 152, leaving questions marks over where that leaves Machida. Will he be next?

"Machida is not next in line," White said. "He'll fight another fight."

© ESPN Sports Media Ltd.
Close