UFC

/ News

  • UFC

Silva won't return until 2013

ESPN staff
August 13, 2012 « Yorkshire release Brophy, draft in Hodd | Chartbeat test »
Anderson Silva will take some time off before returning to action © Getty Images
Enlarge

Anderson Silva will not be defending his UFC middleweight title again until next year, UFC president Dana White has confirmed.

Silva, who boasts a perfect 15-0 record since joining the UFC ranks in 2006, recorded a second-round TKO over rival Chael Sonnen at UFC 148 last month.

However, despite successfully defending his 185-pound title for a UFC-record 10th time, Silva is in no hurry to return to action and plans to take a break for the remainder of the year.

"Anderson said he wants to take some time off until after the end of this year, then we'll start talking to him," White said.

The undefeated Chris Weidman has made clear his desire to challenge Silva but, should Silva go through with his decision to let his body rest until 2013, the middleweight contender may have to put a dream clash with Silva on the back-burner.

"He's in a great spot. He demolished the No. 3 guy [Mark Munoz, in July] in spectacular fashion," White said. "He's got the right to call out whoever he wants. He's going to have to wait or fight, because Anderson is going to fight after the end of the year."

Current 170-pound champion Georges St. Pierre is a more favourable opponent for Silva, according to the 37-year-old's team, although White remained coy when asked whether the fight could be in the offing.

"I guess [St. Pierre] says he wants to fight [Silva], too," White said. "Could be."

© ESPN Sports Media Ltd.
Close