- UFC news
UFC won't book Overeem
Alistair Overeem will not be booked by the UFC for fights in Las Vegas until he has successfully applied for and been granted a license by the Nevada State Athletic Commission, says UFC co-owner Lorenzo Fertitta.
Heavyweight Overeem is serving a nine-month suspension under the auspices of the NSAC after failing a drug test in March, and is eligible to reapply for a license on December 27.
He sparked speculation with a comment on Twitter on Monday in which he stated he would return to the cage in December. With UFC's annual end-of-year card in Las Vegas expected to take place on December 29 he could conceivably be available for the event.
Fertitta however was adamant that no Overeem fight would be promoted until the fighter had been formally approved in his application for a license by the NSAC.
"That's speculation," Fertitta told ESPN.com. "It's in the NSAC's hands. [The UFC] can't be presumptuous."
Overeem last fought at UFC 141, which took place last December, when he scored a first-round TKO victory over Brock Lesnar.
A scheduled UFC title fight with Junior dos Santos in May was pulled after he tested positive for an unusually high testosterone-to-epitestosterone level, and Overeem admitted he had injected himself with a substance to treat a rib injury but was unaware it contained testosterone.