UFC

/ News

  • UFC 146

Is Lesnar back? Dana White does not rule it out

ESPN staff
May 27, 2012 « Belfort breaks hand, out of UFC 147 | Chartbeat test »

UFC president Dana White admits there is a chance Brock Lesnar will return to the UFC, maybe to challenge Junior Dos Santos for his heavyweight title.

Dos Santos was an emphatic winner in Saturday's main event, successfully defending his belt for the first time with a second-round TKO of Frank Mir. With Cain Velasquez already beaten once by the Brazilian, genuine challengers to his crown are currently in short supply.

Sat front row for the bout was a suited-and-booted Lesnar, clearly revelling in the intrigue he was causing. Could the WWE star be back? White didn't rule it out.

"He was here," White said. "I think that says it all."

Lesnar had interest in both fighters during the UFC 146 main event, having previously won and lost against challenger Mir. A trilogy-completing bout was always expected, and Mir did not rule out that option either.

"Obviously, you're not catching me at the best time," Mir said. "It depends, but it would sell a lot of pay-per-views. Everyone wants to see a rubber match."

The heavyweight picture in general could take a series of twists and turns over the coming year, with Alistair Overeem's future still unsure after he was banned for failing a drug test. White did not speak fondly of Overeem, but his business head acknowledged the powerful kickboxer will likely return to fight Dos Santos.

"He sat in front of us and lied to us," White said. "I'm not interested. I don't have to deal with people that I don't want to deal with.

"He went before the athletic commission and got his punishment. He's going to serve his sentence now. When he comes back, he has to apply for a licence again and we'll go from there."

© ESPN Sports Media Ltd.
Close