UFC

/ News

  • UFC

Gracie wants chance to erase bad Hughes memory

ESPN staff
August 23, 2011 « Holmes set for brain surgery | Chartbeat test »
Royce Gracie got outclassed by Matt Hughes when the duo met at UFC 60 © Getty Images
Enlarge

Royce Gracie has confessed that his UFC 60 loss to Matt Hughes still haunts him, and he admits he is finding it difficult to end his fighting career.

Gracie is approaching his 45th birthday and has not fought since June 2007. However, he still has that bug to fight one more time, and there remains one outstanding opponent.

Hughes comprehensively defeated the legendary jiu-jitsu practitioner at UFC 60, finishing the fight via first-round TKO. It was a sad sight for fans of Gracie, who is recognized as the Godfather of the UFC after he won the very first tournament.

Hughes remains competitive inside the Octagon, currently preparing for a UFC 135 showdown with Diego Sanchez, but Gracie has not given up hope of luring the former welterweight champion back for a rematch.

"That's the only one," Gracie told the MMA Hour. "I want to be able to show up to the fight. I didn't show up.

"If it happens, good. If it doesn't happen, good."

Gracie had been linked with an appearance at UFC 134 in Rio, but that dream never came to fruition. The UFC appears to think his time is up, and Gracie acknowledges the fact that it is important not to outstay your welcome.

"You have to know when to stop in this sport," said the Brazilian. "It's very hard. I saw an interview from BJ Penn. He was saying it's very hard to stop because when you're a fighter, you're a fighter. But you have to know when to stop."

© ESPN Sports Media Ltd.
Close