Haye & Fury say fight off over purse splits
The much-touted domestic heavyweight fight between David Haye and Tyson Fury appears to be off, after both fighters appeared to confirm negotiations had stalled.
A money-spinning meeting between Haye, the former WBA world title holder, and Fury for later this year had been widely expected in the boxing media, especially after both fighters pulled out of prior arrangements earlier in the summer.
But Haye took to Twitter on Monday to criticise Fury for failing to sign the contract offered to him.
"I did everything in my power to get Fury in the ring," Haye said on Twitter. "Even gifting him a 50/50 split [of the fight proceeds].
"But Big Chump [Fury] won't sign a contract for the fans."
Fury eventually hit back, seeming to confirm that negotiations had broken off - suggesting that he deserved more than a 50 per cent share of the purse because he was the fighter drawing most of the attention.
The Manchester fighter joked that the split on offer from Haye's camp would not allow him to buy the caravan he wants.
"Haye wants 50/50 purse but I said only 80/20 my way because I'm what's in!" Fury said. "It would have been good for me to knock out Haye. It would have made the nation smile!
"If Haye did grow a pair I'd KO him anyway. Celeb boxer - this is real!"
Fury subsequently suggested his next fight will now be with 40-year-old Fres Oquendo.