Tennis

/ News

  • French Open

Hewitt handed wildcard for French Open

ESPN staff
May 16, 2012 « Brook admits Jones has rattled him | Chartbeat test »
Lleyton Hewitt has been out of action since February © Getty Images
Enlarge

Lleyton Hewitt, former winner of Wimbledon and the US Open, has been granted a wildcard for this year's French Open.

Hewitt has not played a competitive match since February due to an operation on his foot. However, he is now believed to be 100 per cent recovered and ready for his 12th French Open.

"I'm looking forward to playing the French Open especially after missing it last year due to injury," the former world No. 1 said.

Hewitt's record at Roland Garros is somewhat disappointing, having never reached the semi-finals. However, he remains a dogged competitor and - if his body holds up - will provide a stubborn test for some of the game's top players in the early rounds.

Hewitt will be joined by Australian 16-year-old Ashleigh Barty, who has also been granted a wildcard for the event. Barty made her grand slam debut at this year's Australian Open, and has benefited from Tennis Australia's reciprocal arrangement with the French Tennis Federation.

"I'm thrilled to compete in the main draw of the French Open for the first time and test my game against the world's best," the reigning junior Wimbledon champion said.

"Thank you to Tennis Australia for believing in me enough to give me this opportunity and I will do my best to make everyone proud."

© ESPN Sports Media Ltd.
Close