Anger as board forces Folau to sit out match
April 12, 2014
Folau was left frustrated after the ARU withdrew him the Waratahs-Force clash © Getty Images
New South Wales Waratahs coach Michael Cheika has slammed the Australian Rugby Union (ARU) after Israel Folau was pulled out of Saturday's Super Rugby match against Western Force. Folau, who has missed the last fortnight with a throat problem, was picked for Saturday's match after club medical staff passed him fit. But late on Friday ARU chief medical officer Dr Warren McDonald ruled him out after getting specialist advice.
Cheika said the ARU had now twice broken their protocols with the Super Rugby franchises by seeking advice on Folau's condition without first going through Waratahs team doctor Sharron Flahive.
"The whole system is predicated on trust, there's certain jeopardy around that now," Cheika said. "We've got a very experienced doctor who has seen this injury before. We've put ourselves in the picture with lots of information. It's not black and white, it's not like having a broken leg. We've also considered the player and I think this is the biggest thing.
"We've been in contact with Israel every day. Last week we didn't feel he was ready so we didn't play him. This week he went through all the full contact training. He would have had more contact training on Tuesday than he would have in a game.
"We went through all the tests that were required and I can tell you that no one from the ARU medical staff has spoken to Israel at all, which you have to think is a bit of a pre-requisite.
"I had to deal with him last night giving me a gobful because he's not playing. I didn't put him out. He's a very smart guy. He understands what his body can do and where he's at. From what I've heard from him, he's very, very disappointed with the way it's gone down."
Asked if he thought the NSW Rugby Union would formally protest to the ARU about their handling of the situation, Cheika said: "I'd say that we just do it out of process ... I don't think it's going to make any difference."
McDonald said it was not yet in Folau's "best interests" to return to action. "This is a player welfare issue, which has been the focus of all the medical staff involved in this difficult decision, and we'll continue to work on the plan for Isreal's return as soon as possible."
© ESPN Sports Media Ltd.
Communication error please reload the page.
Chelsea striker Diego Costa has reportedly been released from hospital following treatment for an illness
Tony Fernandes has hit back at claims made by the company he sold the Caterham F1 team to, accusing them of not living up to their side of the deal
Bath head coach Mike Ford believes Semesa Rokoduguni should be allowed to play his natural game for England following the winger's call-up to the national side
Brendan Rodgers has refused to guarantee Mario Balotelli's long-term future at Liverpool - even though the striker is only two months into a three-year contract
Andy Murray eased by the error-plagued Fabio Fognini 6-2 6-4 to reach the Valencia Open quarter-finals on Thursday