Sharks lose Pieter-Steph du Toit
March 14, 2014
Pieter-Steph du Toit has been a strongman for the Sharks this season © Getty Images
The Sharks have lost Pieter-Steph du Toit for an indefinite period, the second-row having sustained a knee injury in training on Thursday.
He is the second player to have withdrawn from the Sharks team this week because of a knee injury, after the news that centre Paul Jordaan had been sidelined for a month by an injury sustained against the Lions last week.
Jake White, who named Sibusiso Sithole to replace Jordaan in the starting side, moved Stephan Lewies into the XV to face Queensland Reds at Kings Park on Saturday. White said that du Toit's absence would "mean that Ryan Kankowski will have to take on more responsibility in the lineouts and step up as leader in that regard".
"We will have to expect a full 80 minutes from [Kankowski], and he will have to move to different positions in the lineout to where he was going to slot in," White said.
Sharks captain Bismarck du Plessis said: "It will be a big challenge for us but Stephan and Pieter-Steph have both been working hard on taking on the responsibility of being the No.5 lock, and taking on a big role at the lineout, so we are fortunate that we have Stephan who can step in."
© ESPN Sports Media Ltd
Communication error please reload the page.
Bryan Habana is named to become the 33rd player to play 100 Tests as Heyneke Meyer makes six changes to the Springboks' starting side that defeated Argentina in Salta
Roger Federer raced out of the blocks against Roberto Bautista Agut en route to a 6-4 6-3 6-2 win that sends him through to his 43rd grand slam quarter-final at the US Open
Gael Monfils put on a flawless display of shot-making as he beat Grigor Dimitrov 7-5 7-6(6) 7-5 on Tuesday to reach the quarter-finals of the US Open for the first time since 2010
Fernando Torres said during his unveiling at AC Milan that he had a positive relationship with Chelsea boss Jose Mourinho and added: "Perhaps in the future our paths will meet again."
Alastair Cook has admitted the idea England can win the World Cup is "a bit far fetched" but insisted he has no plans to step down as England's ODI captain.