De Jongh is fifth Springbok centre out for summer
June 13, 2014
Juan de Jongh has impressed for Stormers in Super Rugby this season © Getty Images
South Africa have an injury crisis on their hands after yet another centre was ruled out of their summer Tests against Wales and Scotland.
Juan de Jongh is recovering from a severe chest infection which saw him hospitalised for four nights and he becomes the fifth Springbok centre unavailable for selection.
South Africa head coach Heyneke Meyer said: "Juan is the fifth centre we've lost in the last month and his versatility in the midfield will be missed. I've spoken to Juan and we wanted to give him a run during this series, as he's been in great form for the Stormers.
"At this stage he needs to focus on getting better and returning to the playing field, and I'm sure he will bounce back strongly."
De Jongh is the latest on a lengthy list of Springbok absentees, which among others includes centres Damian de Allende, Jaque Fourie and captain Jean de Villiers, and key men such as Eben Etzebeth, Pat Lambie and Pierre Spies.
Sharks centre Frans Steyn has withdrawn from the squad for unspecified reasons, although it appears that a failure to agree contractual terms with the South African Rugby Union (SARU) is behind the decision.
Centres Paul Jordaan and Wynand Olivier have been called up to the squad to replace de Jongh and Steyn. Uncapped Jordaan is a former U20s international, while Olivier has made 37 Test appearances for the Springboks.
© ESPN Sports Media Ltd
Communication error please reload the page.
Southampton manager Ronald Koeman insists Morgan Schneiderlin will remain at the club for the start of the season and is expecting to sign "two or three" players this weekend
Jonny Wilkinson has backed England to go all the way when they host the World Cup next year
Joel Campbell believes he is ready to emulate his hero Thierry Henry by earning a place in Arsenal's starting line-up this season
Brondby chairman Jan Bech Andersen says the Danish club will do all they can to being defender Daniel Agger back from Liverpool
The Top 14's bumper television deal could be under threat after French authorities ruled that broadcaster Canal+ was awarded the exclusive rights in an unfair manner