Scotland drop Ford and Denton for Italy
February 18, 2014
Ross Ford will have to be content with a spot on the bench © PA Photos
Scotland have made three changes ahead of Saturday's Six Nations match against Italy with Ross Ford the most notable absentee.
Ford is dropped to the bench with Scott Lawson taking his place in the starting line-up while there continues to be no place in the squad for Kelly Brown. Dave Denton is also another man dropped by interim coach Scott Johnson, with Johnnie Beattie replacing him, while Richie Gray is recalled in place of Tim Swinson.
"We've made the changes to the pack with a view to improving the supply and quality of possession," Johnson said. "Italy are formidable opponents, especially in Rome, and Scotland's matches against them in recent years have been a real arm wrestle.
"We're all hurting at the results of the first two games but the players we've chosen have the chance to do something that can make our supporters proud this weekend."
Stuart Hogg, Tommy Seymour, Alex Dunbar, Matt Scott, Sean Lamont, Duncan Weir, Greig Laidlaw (captain); Ryan Grant, Scott Lawson, Moray Low, Richie Gray, Jim Hamilton, Ryan Wilson, Chris Fusaro, Johnnie Beattie
Replacements: Ross Ford, Alasdair Dickinson, Geoff Cross, Tim Swinson, David Denton, Chris Cusiter, Duncan Taylor, Max Evans
© ESPN Sports Media Ltd
Communication error please reload the page.
England and Leicester Tigers will be without hooker Tom Youngs for the next three months following the shoulder injury he picked up against Bath on Saturday
Gloucester will be without centre Henry Trinder for a spell after he underwent shoulder surgery
Andy Murray says he is "disappointed" with the way he tweeted his support for an independent Scotland before last week's referendum but has urged everyone to move on from the incident
Invicta FC featherweight champion Cristiane Justino, aka 'Cyborg', plans to make her bantamweight debut December 5 against a to-be-determined opponent
A hairline fracture in his hand has forced UFC middleweight champion Chris Weidman to withdraw from a scheduled title defence against Vitor Belfort at UFC 181 on December 6 in Las Vegas