Rhys Thomas to undergo heart operation
September 2, 2014
© Getty Images
Ex-Wales international Rhys Thomas is to undergo heart surgery on Tuesday in preparation for a transplant.
Thomas, 32, was capped seven times before being forced to retire after he suffered a heart attack during a Scarlets' training session in 2012. He underwent a quadruple heart by-pass shortly afterwards. He had a mild heart attack six years earlier while on the books at Newport Gwent Dragons.
"I can confirm he is having an operation today to prepare him for a heart transplant in the near future," his agent Christian Abt said.
Surgeons at Birmingham's Queen Elizabeth Hospital hope the fitting of a special pump will enable him to be well enough to be placed on the transplant list.
"This pump isn't cheap and it's a last resort because they have tried everything else for me," Thomas said last month. "They hope the pump will bring the pressure down and I will get well enough to be put on the list for a transplant.
"The odds are not the best for this operation, they are about 70-30 but the more you dwell on stuff like that the more you think you are going to die and not going to see your kids."
The news prompted former team-mates to send messages of support on social media.
Scarlets and Wales centre Scott Williams tweeted: "All the best with the op." Racing Metro's Wales scrum-half Mike Phillips said on Twitter: "All the best mate!" while Dragons No.8 Andy Powell tweeted: "Hope everything goes well."
© ESPN Sports Media Ltd
Communication error please reload the page.
Manuel Pellegrini believes Manchester City's Champions League group is unbalanced and said the Premier League champions deserved to be in pot one when the draw was made
Alan Hutton has signed a new three-year deal with Aston Villa, completing a U-turn by the club
Hector Bellerin makes first Arsenal start in Champions League opener at Borussia Dortmund, while Raheem Sterling makes Champions League debut for Liverpool
Liverpool have had their proposal to extend the capacity of Anfield by 8,500 seats recommended for approval by planners
Bayern Munich manager Pep Guardiola says Manchester United cannot afford his players, despite counterpart Louis van Gaal having spent over £150 million on new personnel this summer