Anscombe departs as Ulster ring changes
June 30, 2014
Mark Anscombe - removed on return © Getty Images
Ireland assistant coach Les Kiss has been appointed as Ulster's interim director of rugby following the dismissal of head coach Mark Anscombe. Kiss, who will continue with his international squad duties, takes up the post on July 19.
Anscombe's departure follows that of David Humphreys, who left to take over as director of rugby at Gloucester last month.
Anscombe was appointed head coach ahead of the 2012-13 campaign on a two-year contract and only recently signed a one-year extension. It is believed he returned to work on Monday after time away and was told the news when he arrived back.
The Independent in Ireland said that player unrest was behind the decision, with "some senior players believed to have become disenchanted with the direction the club was going".
Following Humphreys' departure Ulster chief executive Shane Logan, in conjunction with the professional game committee, decided to review the direction the province was going in.
"I would like to pay tribute to the contribution that Mark Anscombe made over the past two seasons, and to thank him for his hard work and dedication," Logan said. "Kiss will have an expanded remit for the province's director of rugby and will lead the coaching staff, assisted by Jonny Bell and Neil Doak, and will manage first-team selection.
"His appointment allows us time to recruit for long-term success."
© ESPN Sports Media Ltd
Communication error please reload the page.
Jules Bianchi's family say he remains in a critical but stable condition in hospital but "continues to fight" against the injuries sustained at the Japanese Grand Prix
Bath's blockbuster recruit Sam Burgess is putting no immediate timescale on when he will be fit to make his eagerly-awaited rugby union debut
Stuart Broad believes he is on track to return for England in the one-day triangular series with Australia and India ahead of the World Cup
Todd Clever will captain a US Eagles side featuring five Aviva Premiership players in the starting line-up when they face the All Blacks at a soldout Soldier Field on Saturday
A UFC middleweight title bout between Chris Weidman and Vitor Belfort has been made official for the UFC 184 pay-per-view on February 28 in Los Angeles