Ralepelle faces two-year ban after failing drug test
June 10, 2014
© Getty Images
The French media are reporting that South Africa hooker Chiliboy Ralepelle faces a two-year suspension after reportedly testing positive for a banned substance.
It is believed Ralepelle, 27, who is currently recovering from a cruciate ligament injury sustained while playing for Toulouse in February, was tested out of competition on March 19 and was found to have traces of Drostanalone, an anabolic steroid. Its main medical uses is lowering cholesterol levels and as an antineoplastic agent in the treatment of some cancers. It is popular in bodybuilding where it is used as a diuretic and muscle-defining drug.
L'Equipe reported that Ralepelle was now "under investigation" and his club had been informed of the positive test.
Toulouse president Rene Bouscatel was quoted as saying the club would presume Ralepelle innocent of "intentionally consuming the substance", unless it was proved otherwise. He said it is possible it formed part of medication he was given to recover from surgery.
Ralepelle failed a drugs test in 2010 when he was found to have a banned substance - methylhexanamine - in his system when tested after South Africa's game against Ireland in Dublin in 2010. He was not punished as it was successfully argued the substance was contained in team-approved supplements he had taken.
© ESPN Sports Media Ltd
Communication error please reload the page.
Manchester City have denied that they have signed FC Porto centre-back Eliaquim Mangala despite a video being released on the club's official website showing the player arriving for a medical
Nico Rosberg is surprised Mercedes had a half-second advantage over the rest of the field at the Hungarian Grand Prix as he finished second to team-mate Lewis Hamilton in Friday practice
Sebastian Vettel says he is wary of the overnight gains Williams could make after Friday's practice sessions suggested Red Bull could be closer to the front than in previous races
Lewis Hamilton topped Friday practice for the Hungarian Grand Prix ahead of Nico Rosberg as the two Mercedes drivers prepared for round 11 of their championship battle
Manchester United have started to look at central defensive options beyond Mats Hummels as they are not confident of landing the Borussia Dortmund man, according to ESPN sources at Old Trafford