Stanley leaves Gloucester to coach school side
July 4, 2014
Stanley was a Gloucester player before moving into coaching © Getty Images
Gloucester forwards coach Andrew Stanley has left the club to become head of rugby at Dean Close School.
Stanley has spent the past two seasons at Kingsholm, firstly as senior academy manager and later as forwards coach. He made almost 200 appearances for Gloucester as a player before retiring to take up coaching in 1998.
"Gloucester Rugby has played a huge part in my life, both personally and professionally," Stanley said. "But the role at Dean Close is a fantastic opportunity and one that is absolutely right for me at this time in my career.
"It's been a doubly tough decision to leave as we genuinely look to be on verge of something very exciting here at Gloucester. The make-up of the squad and the coaching appointments hint at great things to come.
"I'll still be local though and, as always, will keeping an eye on the progress of the team."
Dean Close, established in 1886, is a co-educational day and boarding school of around 900 pupils. The school's first XV lost just once last season.
Stanley's departure follows the confirmation of former Brumbies director of rugby Laurie Fisher as Gloucester's new head coach earlier this week. Fisher was a forwards coach with the Brumbies and Munster before taking up his current position with the Super Rugby outfit.
© ESPN Sports Media Ltd
Communication error please reload the page.
Rugby fans now have an opportunity to sit in a couch that slides along the sideline at the first Bledisloe Cup Test at the ANZ Stadium in Sydney
Raymond van Barneveld suffered a bizarre exit from the World Matchplay following a 13-8 defeat to Simon Whitlock, who set up a quarter-final tie with the impressive James Wade
Liverpool manager Brendan Rodgers says he does not feel let down by Luis Suarez's decision to join Barcelona, but issued a warning to his players that no individual is bigger than the club
Steven Caulker is Harry Redknapp's second signing of the summer after completing his move from Cardiff to QPR
Tyson Fury insists he will still fight on Saturday despite Dereck Chisora pulling out of their scheduled WBO title eliminator clash with a fractured hand