Falcons sign Italy's Josh Furno
May 14, 2014
Josh Furno will offer a different option in the second-row for Newcastle next term © Getty Images
Newcastle Falcons have made their ninth signing ahead of next season with Josh Furno arriving from Biarritz.
Furno, who has 18 caps for Italy, will offer a physical presence in the second-row and will step into Carlo del Fava's shoes who retired last year. "I am delighted to be joining Newcastle Falcons," Furno, 24, said. "I am really looking forward to meeting all the boys and getting down to work. Having competed against the very best in the Top 14 and the Rabo Direct Pro12, I am now excited to be given the opportunity to challenge myself in the Aviva Premiership.
"I will be working hard to ensure that I play my part in what promises to be an exciting future for the club. I spoke with Carlo del Favo and Sinoti Sinoti and they only had good things to say about the Falcons and life in Newcastle. I then spoke with Dean and I was thoroughly impressed with his vision for the club going forward."
Newcastle director of rugby Dean Richards added: "Josh is a fantastic signing, who is a great all-rounder when it comes to the set-piece, ball carrying and his ability in defence.
"He has international experience from his time in the Italian set-up and has performed at the highest level in domestic competition, both of which will be vital for us in the Aviva Premiership."
© ESPN Sports Media Ltd
Communication error please reload the page.
British 100 metres champion Dwain Chambers will not compete at the Commonwealth Games having pulled out of the event to concentrate on the upcoming European Championships
Liverpool are firm favourites to sign forward Divock Origi, his father Mike has told Belgian newspaper Het Nieuwsblad
Liverpool are pursuing a deal to sign Atletico Madrid right-back Javi Manquillo on a season-long loan, sources have told ESPN
Eric Boullier insists Felipe Massa was wrong to point the finger of blame for his first-lap crash at Hockenheim at Kevin Magnussen and says the FIA report backs up his opinion
The hearing into the Level 3 charge against England fast bowler James Anderson will be held on August 1 via videoconference, the ICC has confirmed