Sale latest club to post huge losses
April 16, 2014
Sale's Danny Cipriani was named March's player of the month © Getty Images
Sale Sharks are the latest Aviva Premiership club to announce seven-figure losses for last season.
Sale, who sit sixth in the Premiership, join Saracens, Bath, Wasps and Worcester in reporting deficits for last season. The Sharks posted pre-tax losses of £2.4 million for 2012-13, double what they lost in the previous year. Turnover at the club fell from £7.5 million in 2012 to £6.2 million.
Sale are supported by property tycoon Brian Kennedy, who has guaranteed funding for the club for at least another 12 months.
In a statement, Sale said: "The company continues to benefit from its financial support of its shareholders, without which we would be unable to prepare these accounts on a going concern basis"
The losses have caused concern in the boardrooms at profit-making clubs, who claim they are disadvantaged by wealthy investors propping up their rivals.
Exeter Chiefs chief executive Tony Rowe summed up the feeling of profit-making clubs. "We run Sandy Park as a business, which means we run at a profit," he said. "If we can't run at a profit then we shouldn't be in business. It does feel a bit unfair that other people can buy players and run sporting businesses as a tax loss. But things come home and bite you on the bum at some stage."
However, Sale's losses of £2.4 million pale into insignificance when compared with those racked up by the country's leading football clubs. Manchester City for example, lost £52 million in 2012-13, which represented an improvement on the previous year when they lost a staggering £98 million.
© ESPN Sports Media Ltd
Communication error please reload the page.
Manchester United's Javier Hernandez says he would be interested in following Nemanja Vidic out of Old Trafford to Inter Milan
Former UFC middleweight champion Anderson Silva will return to action Jan. 31 in a 185-pound contest against Nick Diaz at UFC 183 in Las Vegas
England ended a winless run of ten Tests, which began in August last year, in style on the fifth morning in Southampton
Ferrari has confirmed that the head of its engine and electronics department, Luca Marmorini, has left the team
Jose Mourinho says Fernando Torres will not be sold this summer, despite the Chelsea striker being linked with a return to Atletico Madrid