Harlequins sign England winger Marland Yarde
January 30, 2014
Marland Yarde will leave London Irish at the end of the season © Getty Images
Harlequins have announced the signing of Marland Yarde on a two-year contract from London Irish.
Yarde's decision to leave the Exiles will come as a bitter blow for the club but he will bring an extra touch of class to the Quins back line.
Quins boss Conor O'Shea was delighted with the signing, saying: "Having played all his rugby at London Irish and in speaking to Marland and his mother these past few weeks, I know how much Marland appreciates everything that has been done for him by London Irish.
"However, once he decided that he wanted to make a change I think we both knew the fit was perfect. He is young, ambitious, has world class potential and his 'X-Factor' is with ball in hand. We are absolutely determined that we will help him realise his ambitions and look forward to him joining the squad for pre-season training in the summer."
London Irish said: "We did everything within our power to retain Marland, considering that the club had developed him as a player through our Junior and Senior Academy Programme, progressing to being a valued member of the senior playing squad and ultimate achievement of international honours.
"An offer of more than substantial new terms was made to Marland so, in the circumstances, the club is disappointed with his decision to move on. However, the club must also move on and proceed with our plans to build a team for the future."
Yarde will now look to add to his two England caps while at Harlequins and admitted it was a tough decision to make.
"I will always have fond memories of London Irish and can only thank the club for what they have done for me as a player to date and the opportunity they have given me," Yarde said. " I am excited to move on to the next stage of my career with Harlequins and hope to continue to develop and improve as a player."
© ESPN Sports Media Ltd
Communication error please reload the page.
Rory McIlroy is relishing another Australian Open battle with Adam Scott and admits his victory in Sydney last year sparked his triumphant return to form in 2014
Rickie Lambert admits he has struggled with the pressure of playing for boyhood club Liverpool since his £4.5 million summer move from Southampton
The British Government has weighed into the FIFA controversy by urging the world governing body to publish Michael Garcia's report into the bidding for the 2018 and 2022 World Cups in full
Brendan Rodgers says Liverpool can benefit from their recent losing streak as they head into Wednesday's crucial Champions League clash against Ludogorets Razgrad
Chris Eubank Sr believes his son is "the most dangerous fighter on the planet" and has the talent of Sugar Ray Leonard