More Sports

/ News

  • Boxing

Khan dismisses talk of Hatton fight

ESPN staff
January 25, 2010 « Woodgate injury could force Redknapp to market | ESPN FA Cup Promo »
Amir Khan is determined to break the American market © Getty Images
Enlarge

Ricky Hatton should retire from boxing and focus on his other interests, according to Amir Khan. The WBA light-welterweight champion has dismissed the possibility of a bout against Hatton, insisting that his "dream fight" would instead be against Juan Manuel Marquez.

Following Khan's move to Golden Boy Promotions after leaving Frank Warren's stable, speculation about a clash between the two Brits had been rife - but now it seems off the agenda. "I think that Ricky should just call it a day now," Khan told the Manchester Evening News. "He's known as a British legend in boxing and I think he should just chill out now.

"He's made his money and he's made a good name for himself. He's got his own gym so he can just look after that and he's got his own promotion company as well."

As he stated on joining the US-based Golden Boy, Khan is determined to raise his profile in America - and a meeting with the Mexican could be the ideal way to announce himself there. "It is my mission to fight men like Marquez and that would be my dream fight in America," Khan said to the Daily Star.

A mandatory defence against Marcos Maidana is first up for Khan, but the Bolton man's trainer is looking for a bigger name in the shape of Marquez.

"Maidana is not well known enough and there is not enough money in the fight," Freddie Roach said. "If it gets built up it could be a real big fight so the thing is we are going to fight someone else and they have asked me if we would fight Marquez and I said: 'Yes, we will fight Marquez'".

© ESPN Sports Media Ltd.
Close