<
>

Dana White: Conor McGregor doesn't 'get my help on this one'

play
White was working on new deal with McGregor before incident (1:43)

Dana White says he will take a step back and let the law help decide if Conor McGregor will fight in the UFC again. (1:43)

UFC president Dana White says he has no interest in helping Conor McGregor with his legal troubles after the fighter was charged with three counts of misdemeanor assault and one count of felony criminal mischief Thursday.

McGregor, 29, was caught on camera throwing a hand dolly through the window of a bus that was carrying UFC fighters at a UFC 223 media event Thursday at Barclays Center.

"No ... no," White said on ESPN's Get Up! on Friday morning when asked if he would help McGregor. "Normally, yes, I would dive right in and do everything in my power to help one of my guys. But not in this situation.

"He came into the Barclays Center, attacked our fighters and attacked my staff with a bunch of guys. No, you don't get my help on this one."

Two fighters suffered injuries as a result of the incident. McGregor's teammate, Cian Cowley, was also charged by the New York Police Department with assault and criminal mischief.

White told ESPN that McGregor, who showed up to the media event unexpectedly, was retaliating for an incident earlier in the week between lightweight Khabib Nurmagomedov and McGregor's teammate Artem Lobov.

White told ESPN that he had a text session with McGregor on Thursday after the incident. He said McGregor was "apologetic about the people he wasn't trying to hurt. But he felt the Khabib thing had to be done."

White said he's still dumbfounded by McGregor's actions.

"It's out of character for Conor McGregor and any of my fighters," White said of McGregor's behavior. "Listen, crazy things happen in sports. ... In the history of the UFC, this is definitely the worst thing ever that's happened. ... This is not Conor McGregor. This is not the Conor McGregor that I know."

Three matches had to be removed from Saturday's pay-per-view event.

Lightweight Michael Chiesa (14-3) has been pulled from a scheduled bout against Anthony Pettis because of facial lacerations. Flyweight Ray Borg (11-3) has been forced out of a bout against Brandon Moreno because of what the UFC described as multiple corneal abrasions. Both injuries were allegedly caused by McGregor's actions.

Lobov (13-14-1) had earlier been pulled from his fight against Alex Caceres because of his participation in the incident.

"This is the last stunt on Earth that we'd ever pull," White said about speculation that the incident was staged. "This is embarrassing for the sport and obviously for the UFC. This is the furthest thing from a stunt. This is bad."

White said McGregor's passport has been tagged so he can't leave the country.

"Conor is in a lot of trouble," White said.

White said he will deal with McGregor's future in the UFC after this weekend's event is finished.

"Obviously, the big question everybody's been asking me is, 'Are you firing Conor McGregor?'" White told ESPN. "This is bigger than Conor McGregor getting fired. There are so many more moving pieces to this thing."