Sexton 'agrees four-year deal' with Leinster
August 25, 2014
Jonathan Sexton will at least continue to play in France for the current season © Getty Images
Jonathan Sexton is set to leave France to return to former province Leinster, according to reports.
Ireland fly-half Sexton is understood to have rejected a new four-year deal with current club Racing Metro in favour of a similar offer from Leinster, where he spent seven years before leaving for the Top 14 in 2013.
According to the Irish Independent, Sexton will join Leinster next season on a four-year deal after agreeing terms with the IRFU and the province. He will become an IRFU employee once again at the end of Racing's current season - which could stretch until June 2015 - meaning Ireland coach Joe Schmidt will have full access to his playmaker in the run-up to next autumn's Rugby World Cup.
The transfer would represent a coup for both the province and the national team after seeing off competition from Racing and French champions Toulon, who were thought to have been eyeing Sexton as their long-term replacement for the retired Jonny Wilkinson.
Earlier this month, Leinster head coach Matt O'Connor admitted he would welcome back Sexton with open arms as the 29-year-old weighed up his future. The two-year deal he signed with Racing in 2013 contained the option of extending it for a third, but the Paris club last week offered him a new improved contract.
Sexton has previously spoken of the difficulties involved in trying to raise a young family abroad, admitting that he barely had time to train while looking after his new baby boy. Last week he refused to commit his future to anyone, saying only that he hoped the issue would be resolved "sooner rather than later".
© ESPN Sports Media Ltd
Communication error please reload the page.
Technical chief James Allison says the new front wing regulations have not posed a huge problem for Ferrari and expects gains on both the aerodynamic and engine side this season
Andy Murray says he is more wary of Tomas Berdych than he would have been of Rafael Nadal as the British No.1 prepares for his fifth Australian Open in six years
Manchester United have made the decision to only pursue prime targets in this transfer window, leaving open the distinct possibility that they will not do any more business in January
Chelsea midfielder Cesc Fabregas admits he is hoping to break former Arsenal team-mate Thierry Henry's record for assists in the Premier League
Andy Murray sees off "cooked" Nick Kyrgios in the Australian Open semi-finals and will play Tomas Berdych in the last four