ESPN SCRUM

/ Ireland

/ News

Ireland
O'Brien to miss Six Nations
ESPN Staff
January 11, 2014
O'Brien in action for Ireland during the 2011 Six Nations © Getty Images
Enlarge

Ireland will be without British & Irish Lions back row Sean O'Brien for the Six Nations after Joe Schmidt confirmed he may be out for at least four months, according to TheScore.ie.

O'Brien, who is rumoured to be on the verge of a move to European champions Toulon, is set to be omitted from Schmidt's Six Nations squad to be announced on January 21. The 26-year-old dislocated his shoulder against Ulster last month and now, after an operation last week, could sit out the remainder of the season on the sidelines.

That surgery may spell the end of his club career at Leinster if he does, after it was widely reported that he went to France last week for talks with Toulon president Mourad Boudjellal about a move to the Top 14 ahead of next season.

"Sean had an operation last Friday and he's likely to be out for four months; maybe beyond that," said Schmidt on the Late Late Show.

The former Leinster boss also confirmed Stephen Ferris will be out of the Six Nations due to an ongoing ankle problem.

© ESPN Sports Media Ltd

Live Sports

Communication error please reload the page.

  • Latest
  • Most Viewed
  • News
  • Features
  • Football

    Jedinak slapped with four game ban

    Crystal Palace midfielder Mile Jedinak has been banned for four games after elbowing West Ham's Diafra Sakho

  • Football

    Di Maria can become a world beater at United, says LVG

    Louis van Gaal has come to the defence of Angel Di Maria after the midfielder's Manchester United career reached a new low when he was taken off at half-time in Saturday's 2-0 win over Sunderland

  • Rugby

    Pascal Pape's appeal against ban fails

    France second-row Pascal Pape has had the appeal against his 10-week suspension rejected

  • Formula 1

    Alonso to miss Australian GP on medical advice

    Fernando Alonso will not compete at the Australian Grand Prix on the recommendation of doctors as he continues to recover from his testing crash in Barcelona

  • Football

    Sol Campbell rules out Westminster move

    Sol Campbell has quashed speculation that he is seeking to replace Sir Malcolm Rifkind as the Conservative candidate for the safe Tory seat of Kensington

  • News
  • Features
Sponsored Links
Make Huge Income from your Home
Download your Free Guide And Learn How To Increase Your Monthly Income