Ireland sweat on injured Sexton
November 18, 2013
If Jonathan Sexton is not available then Ireland have some serious headaches © PA Photos
Injury doubt Jonathan Sexton must train at least twice this week to be considered to face New Zealand on Sunday. Sexton limped out of Ireland's lacklustre 32-15 defeat to Australia at half-time with a hamstring problem.
Ireland boss Joe Schmidt will receive an update on Sexton's condition on Monday once Ireland's medics have examined scans. If the prognosis is unclear, he said Ireland can ill afford to gamble on Sexton being available.
"I guess we'll find out the degree of his injury and then that will either make a decision easy for us, because it looks good or it doesn't look good. If it's halfway in between, then certainly my expectation would be that he would have to train on Friday.
"He hasn't really spent that much time with us training, he had a little hip-flexor issue plus we left him to rest against Samoa just because of the attritional game time he had already accumulated. And I think the wear and tear of that game time has consequences, and unfortunately those consequences have fallen in our lap."
Schmidt admitted that the lack of experience were Sexton to be unavailable was a worry. "Paddy Jackson and Ian Madigan have a handful [of caps] each. That's a very big gap in terms of learning, experience and opportunity to maybe make some errors and learn from them. And they will be surrounded by some experienced players.
"So it's important for us to try to get the right players around the 10 if it's not Johnny."
© ESPN Sports Media Ltd
Communication error please reload the page.
British 100 metres champion Dwain Chambers will not compete at the Commonwealth Games having pulled out of the event to concentrate on the upcoming European Championships
Liverpool are firm favourites to sign forward Divock Origi, his father Mike has told Belgian newspaper Het Nieuwsblad
Liverpool are pursuing a deal to sign Atletico Madrid right-back Javi Manquillo on a season-long loan, sources have told ESPN
Eric Boullier insists Felipe Massa was wrong to point the finger of blame for his first-lap crash at Hockenheim at Kevin Magnussen and says the FIA report backs up his opinion
The hearing into the Level 3 charge against England fast bowler James Anderson will be held on August 1 via videoconference, the ICC has confirmed